Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating A Target Folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

1ST post here,

Trying to install Autoruns but it downloaded in a Zip file. I am not very computer literate and am confused. I believe I need to create a "target folder" to extract to but I don't know the proceedure.

Can any one shed some light or walk me through the process? I use widows2000 pro.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

I generally use either WinRAR or ZipCentral to do the extracting, etc., but basically what you should do is to create a new folder where you can find it easily (My Documents, for example), give the new folder a descriptive name, and unzip the contents to that new folder. [To create a new folder, go to My Documents, and then use File/new/folder on the drop down menus to make a new folder; when the folder is placed, your cursor should be on the name box so you can give it a description.] You may then use your Antivirus to scan the contents in the new folder.

Note: once you extract the contents, the original .zip file remains;over time, these "widows" can take up significant hard drive space, so it is a good habit to delete, or archive off-disk, these zipped files right after you unzip them.

Hope this answers your question.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users