Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random shutdowns and BSOD D1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 catatoniatoday

catatoniatoday

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Hi and good afternoon. Several days ago my laptop shut down suddenly out of the blue and then did so again when I started it up again, during startup. After that it has worked fine for the last 2-3 days until this morning, when I got a blue screen of death, error code D1. Since then it has shut down several times again with no BSOD, just a black screen, twice in safe mode with networking. 

The first day it happened I had restored Firefox and removed some crapware/tracking cookies that had been making it slow, but other than that there haven't been any changes to the machine in a while.

I'm feeling a little frantic as I'm a translator and have a project due on Tuesday, but I'm scared to work on the computer and currently have no spare. Please please help. <3

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2014 - 01:09 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Useful Tips for Dealing With BSODs

BSODs have a variety of root causes, but these tips will help you deal with many blue screens:

• Use System Restore: If your system recently started blue-screening, use System Restore to roll its system software back to a previous state. If this works, you’ll know that it’s likely a software problem.
  • Scan for Malware: Malware that digs deep into Windows and gets its hooks into the Windows kernel at a low level can cause system instability. Scan your computer for malware to ensure buggy malicious software isn’t causing it to crash.
  • Install Updated Drivers: An incorrectly installed or buggy driver can lead to crashes. Download the latest drivers for your computer’s hardware from your computer manufacturer’s website and install them — this may fix BSODs caused by driver problems.
  • Boot Into Safe Mode: If your computer is blue-screening every time you turn it on, try booting into safe mode. In safe mode, Windows loads only the essential drivers. If a driver you’ve installed is causing Windows to blue screen, it shouldn’t do so in safe mode. You can work on fixing the problem from safe mode.
  • Check for Hardware Problems: Blue screens can be caused by faulty hardware in your computer. Try testing your computer’s memory for errors and checking its temperature to ensure that it isn’t overheating.
  • Reinstall Windows: Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

You can also use windows clean boot to see if you have a conflict with your Apps. It's also a good idea to test your memory.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You can test memory by typing " Windows memory diagnostic"  in search W7

Edited by donetao, 04 May 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#3 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hello! You might try this software to see if it idenifies a driver problem.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/whocrashed_free_home_edition.html

#4 catatoniatoday

catatoniatoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thanks to both of you, and sorry I disappeared for a few days.

It actually seems to be a hardware problem--the non-bsod shutdowns are from overheating, and the bsod only happened once and has not returned since I uninstalled the software I had installed the day I restored FF. I put an old fan pad I had under it and it's running a bit cooler (and hasn't shut down again) until we have time to take it apart, clean and investigate.

Besos! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users