Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a second sata drive to my system

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kc8pcl

kc8pcl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

I have a custom built desktop computer that has one sata hard drive with 75 gig capacity, I have a 200 gig sata drive that I would like to add to the unit. can anyone advise me about doing this? will the system recognize the new drive? or is it possible to do this? I could use some advice about this. Thank you. :hello:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

A full power down and power cord disconnect should be done during the install, touch the chassis to rid yourself of static.

It normally is a very simple process, just a matter of setting the jumper to slave which is marked on the drives case or easily found on the makers site.  Then mounting it in a bay and hooking up the cables, take your time it is easy to see what cable goes where!  Normally they boot up just fine with no issues. 

Edited by OldPhil, 04 May 2014 - 07:01 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Like what OldPhil already said, adding another drive is a simple process. Since you are connecting a SATA drive, even there is no need to set jumpers like with IDE drives. I would suggest watching the below video tutorial which is self explanatory.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:03 AM

These days, adding drives are simple to do, following the advise given above.

Old Phil makes a point often overlooked by too many, that ensuring that all power is removed & drained from the computer, as well as grounding. This includes the removal of the Ethernet cable, if installed. After disconnecting all power, make sure to press & hold the power button for at least 30 seconds, this flushes any leftover lingering power.

Never, under any circumstances, attempt to perform such repairs/upgrades on a carpeted surface. This increases the chance of damaging the motherboard & other system components, such as the GPU, CPU & RAM.

Other than that, adding a 2nd drive can easily be a 5-10 minute task, the most time used in preparation. The physical act of adding the extra drive can only take a minute. It is good to have a 2nd drive installed, for more than one reason. It can be split into partitions, one can be the backup partition for the "C" drive, eliminating the need for an external. All of my computers with SSD's has a separate drive for that purpose & Data.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 kc8pcl

kc8pcl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

I have a custom built desktop computer that has one sata hard drive with 75 gig capacity, I have a 200 gig sata drive that I would like to add to the unit. can anyone advise me about doing this? will the system recognize the new drive? or is it possible to do this? I could use some advice about this. Thank you. :hello:

Thank you All for the quick response to my question, I will pick up a new SATA cable for the new drive. If it works, I will have a good place to store all the files and programs that I use for amateur radio. Thanks again everyone.

kc8pcl. 

#6 gazzer49

gazzer49

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:16 AM

I have added a 2TB drive to my PC. It recognised it on boot up but it fails to see it in "My Computer".

In "Device Manager" it is shown under disk drives, without conflict. It knows it's volume.

I appreciate it will need formatting but can't find where it permits me to do it!

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

Try right clicking Computer then click Manage then again in the left pane click Disk Management, there you will be able right on the drive and select format from the pop up menu.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

You may need to "initialize" the drive in Disk Management.

How To Initialize New Drive

Louis

#9 gazzer49

gazzer49

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

Thanks OldPhil and hamluis. I followed the link and it's currently formatting......very slowly but then it is 2TB!

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users