Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashing, Computer temperature problems, and mouse problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xXSenile

xXSenile

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

Hi,

Recently my computer which runs windows 7 started to slow down a lot especially when I try to run games. It did not used to do this in the past, and it now keeps crashing and I have to run the game on the lowest setting to even get it to run at all... I have no problems streaming high definition videos though...

Additionally, my mouse scroll recently starting glitching as well. When I scroll down the page it will suddenly scroll back up a bit and when I scroll up it might suddenly scroll down a bit. I'm not sure if this problem is related.

I posted on the malware section thinking it was a malware issue but I was referred here because my temperature for my computer may be too high (see link attached):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532616/computer-keeps-crashing-slowing-down-and-weird-mouse-scroll/#entry3360079

Speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EJE3Fbja5TMkF8t7zfuaxth

Any insight or help into these matters would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by xXSenile, 04 May 2014 - 06:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Are the fans clean, much dust inside the case.  If all is clean the thermal paste on the processor may have dried out.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

78C is dangerously hot.  The maximum temperature I found was 72.7C.

Along with cleaning the dust out of the CPU fan and heat sink assembly you should check to see if the fan and heat sink are firmly seated on the CPU.

If you are going to replace the thermal compound make sure that you clean the mating surface of the CPU and heat sink.  Using a plastic card works well for removing most of the thermal compound, you can use isopropyl alcohol to clean the residue.

You will only need a small amount of thermal compound, about the size of a grain of rice.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 xXSenile

xXSenile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. My fan is clean from what I can see, there is no dust, and I cleaned it again just to be sure. Perhaps the thermal paste is dried out like was suggested, but I think my heat sink is inbuilt or came with the tower so I might not be able to do that? I am not sure how either way :S

Would I have to buy another heat sink?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

This is a desktop.  The heat sink and fan are removable on all of the desktops I've seen.

Post the make and model of this computer and I will see what I can do about finding either a video or written instructions for removing the heat sink.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users