Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F.e.a.r.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

Has anyone played F.E.A.R.? WOW! It's crazy scary! Not to mention that the graphics are superb! It's a dark game, that's more like an interactive movie! I just got it Saturday night, and have only played it for a few hours, but OMG, it's great! Scary too! I was walking along, minding my own business, and stepped on a can and nearly jumped out of my seat!

I've only done the online gameplay once, for about 10 minutes. Initially, it's very fast paced. I died maybe 5 times in 3 minutes :thumbsup: There's a lot of bunny hopping going on to, which makes it hard to shoot people (cuz they're jumping all over the place).

I was just wondering if anyone else had this game and what they thought of it (and what they thought of the online play).
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:00 PM

lol, I made a thread on this quite a long time ago.

Um, I can't say I really like it too much. The scariest parts of the game mostly involve the physics when you run over a can and it flies across the room, but other than that, only a couple of 'Alma' appearances really scared me. Some of the lighting effects looked really awsome but the game is almost all a totally linear, dark hallway to dark hallway experience, which got really boring (though there are a few out door areas). The story doesn't help it out either. Though you've said you've only played a few hours, let me just say this, you'll have no idea what is going on with your character. Its like they tried to do the "Gordon Freeman" technique that Valve was very successful with but failed because your character in F.E.A.R. doesn't even have a name and everybody refers to just just as everybody refers to Tidus in Final Fantasy 10, as "Hey you", "Hey kid", "He can handle himself", "Hey buddy", ect, which totally kills the immursion factor.

Edited by Wizdabest, 22 May 2006 - 12:01 PM.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

lol, I made a thread on this quite a long time ago.

Sorry about that! I was totally unaware that you had made a post like this! Had I known I would've replied to it! LOL!

So, you didn't care for the game huh? I can see what you're saying about the generic referals though. It would make any game hard to follow.

What did you think about the online play Wizdabest? Like I said, I only did if for a few minutes, but thought it was to "fast and furious" for me. I didn't find any challenge to to jumping around trying to shoot some one else......lacks strategy I guess. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Battlefield 2 :thumbsup:

Oh, and did you know how to make him jump kick, side kick and sweep kick? I tried a billion times and can't make him do it (even lowered myself to reading the instruction manual :flowers: ).

Edited by stevealmighty, 22 May 2006 - 12:15 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thats okay, I made it around christmas so its like half a year old anyway.

yea, playing online is a very fast and hard hitting experience, though thats about all it has to offer. I don't think it has the lasting power of say Battlefield 2 or Counter Strike because its more death match oriented. However, it'll keep you occupied for a bit.

Lets see,

To do a sweeping kick (or whatever its called in the air) you simply jump and right after you press the jump key, hit the melee key.

To do the slide, its almost the same thing as the jump kick, you have to press duck with the melee key at the right time. I think its more that you have to duck and directly after you hit duck, press the melee key. *edit* i'm not sure if you have to be running or not when you do that though*

Edited by Wizdabest, 22 May 2006 - 12:34 PM.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the input!

From what little I've experienced of the online play, I'd have to agree with you about the online play. I'll have to get back into the Battlefield 2 scene I guess :thumbsup: Although, I do plan on beating FEAR (hopefully).

I'll try those moves out. I was hitting the buttons at the same time, and he was just punching air. I even landed on this other guys head, so he turned around and shot me. I used a whole lot of "colorful sentance enhancers"! :flowers:

Thanks again!
Posted Image

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

I wish they'd fix Battlefield 2. I love it so much yet I hate it with the exact same passion at the same time. *sigh*

*edit*

oh yea, okay I just tried online again, you have to press duck/jump and melee at pretty much the same time.

Edited by Wizdabest, 22 May 2006 - 01:38 PM.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

They've put out quite a few patches for BF2. It was supposed to fix all the bunny hopping and even out the weapons and vehicles/aircraft. Might wanna check the EA BF2 website for the latest patch if you haven't already.

I'll keep trying that jump kick. Who knows, maybe by the time I finish the game, I'll figure it out! LOL!!!
Posted Image

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:09 PM

no no, it isn't fully about that, I play all the time and I have the latest patches, its just what they've done with their recent patches.

I was happy to hear about the stop to bunny hopping and stuff but I don't like how every new patch seems to mess it up more than it fixes it. I'm pissed the most at the claymores and how they've invincible and smart now.

--

Yea, jump kicks and slides are simple once you do it once or twice and see the right combo of buttons.

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Just to butt into your conversation, I am a great fan of BF2.... And I agree - EA are smoking crack I reckon when they are making their patches. The major drama still going on is the TV missiles (from the attack choppers) going directly through other choppers....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

So, how are you faring in your progress, Steave?

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:58 AM

So, how are you faring in your progress, Steave?

Stuck. I'm stuck. I can't figure out what to do or where to go. Of course, I've only been stuck for maybe 20 minutes, which is more than enough to tick me off! LOL!!! I'll figure it out, it's just a matter of finding a button to push or a lever to pull. Just gotta find it.

Oh, and I still can't jump kick or sweep kick. My son can do all the kicks and what not. He laughs at me cuz I can't get the guy to jump kick. I took away his college fund. That'll teach him to laugh at me. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users