Hello kittycat -
Please start with a few diagnostic tools and then a few clean-up tools.
Download all programs to Desktop, Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus if needed, and Copy and Paste any logs.
Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.
Download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.
Close any Firefox browsers you may have open
Checkmark the following boxes:
• Flush DNS
• Report IE Proxy Settings
• Reset IE Proxy Settings
• Report FF Proxy Settings
• Reset FF Proxy Settings
• List content of Hosts
• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).
Please download and run RKill by Grinler.
A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear.
This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
Please post the small log back here
Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.
Now: Download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
• Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
• Click on the Scan button. (only once)
• AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
• When it's done you'll see: Pending: Uncheck any elements you don't want removed.
• Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
• Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
• If there's a program you want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
• If you're not sure, post the log for review.
• Now - If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button. (only once)
• After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
• Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
• A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
• Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
• To restore an item that has been deleted (if necessary):
• Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.
Finally to clean up Extensions -
1. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7/8. From within Add/Remove Programs look for anything and select Remove.
2. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions. Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension. Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it but let me know which one it was so I can update the above list.
* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How To Disable Individual Plug-ins in Google Chrome <- try only if the above does not work
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer
3. If the above did not resolve the problem, then create a new browser user profile.
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Google Chrome
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Firefox
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome
After you post those logs, please tell us how the system is running -