Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RRSavings Ads

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kittycat732

kittycat732

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

I installed a calendar app on my Windows 7 laptop, and I'm pretty sure that's what caused this virus esque aggressive ad program by something called "RR Savings". I went to my programs and features and uninstalled the program that I was pretty sure started it (Also called RRSavings), and I deleted the related extension as well, but I'm getting add popups with every new page click, even when I click a page, a popup tries to come up. 

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? It could be a virus, but the ads and popups only come up when surfing the web. They come up on all of my web browsers. Please help me, anyone. I'm starting to get a bit anxious. lol 

Even though its agressive adware, I guess I still need to clear my computer to help get rid of it. Thank you in advance for any replies. I really appreciate the help. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

Hello kittycat -

Please start with a few diagnostic tools and then a few clean-up tools.

Download all programs to Desktop, Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus if needed, and Copy and Paste any logs.

First -

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Next -

Download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.
Close any Firefox browsers you may have open
Checkmark the following boxes:
• Flush DNS
• Report IE Proxy Settings
• Reset IE Proxy Settings
• Report FF Proxy Settings
• Reset FF Proxy Settings
• List content of Hosts
• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

Next -

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.
A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear.
This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.

Please post the small log back here

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

Now:  Download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
• Click on the Scan button. (only once)
• AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
• When it's done you'll see: Pending: Uncheck any elements you don't want removed.
• Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
• Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
• If there's a program you want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
• If you're not sure, post the log for review.
Now - If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button. (only once)
• After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
• Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

• A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
• Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
• To restore an item that has been deleted (if necessary):
• Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.

Finally to clean up Extensions -

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7/8. From within Add/Remove Programs look for anything and select Remove.

2. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions. Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension. Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it but let me know which one it was so I can update the above list.
* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How To Disable Individual Plug-ins in Google Chrome <- try only if the above does not work
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer

3. If the above did not resolve the problem, then create a new browser user profile.
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Google Chrome
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Firefox
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome

After you post those logs, please tell us how the system is running -

#3 kittycat732

kittycat732
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hi, I did a system restore to before the calendar installation. It seemed to work. No extensions that I can see, and in the system restore, rrsavings was listed as an application/program to be deleted.

No popups, no rrsavings ads. I think I'm good now. :D lol Is there anything I should still do? Sorry that I did not follow instructions, I just figured since I knew the programs caused the  problems, this could probably be solved using a system restore. 

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hi -

There may just be small amounts left, so if you can just run the last 2 programs please -

A system restore may not always remove all problems, and a clean out will not hurt your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users