Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ssmgr.exe Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snypa1

snypa1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

Hi everyone, I have a feeling that my system is infected with something. After downloading and installing IE7 (don't worry, im a born and bred Firefox user), Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite has been popping up whenever I want to type something in the URL bar, saying that it may want to monitor keyboard activity, could be a keytroke logger etc. I was denying this for several weeks, but then got tired of the messages then accidentally allowed it to run, and allowed it to run in future instances.

I was then configuring services and running processes, and came across "SSMGR.exe" which I hadnt noticed before. I did research on this, and found that its part of something called "007 Spy Software". This was very unusual, since I've very often taken precautions on spyware etc.

I posted some HijackThis logs on various sites and nothing malicious was found. However, I would be greatful if i could be given more nformation on this process, and whether IE7 was the cause of it. I never installed anything dodgy, and nothing has been found on several scans using various antispyware applications.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

www.symantec.ca/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.sa_pcspy.html

This is what Symantec says about this spyware.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

007 Spy Software - "stealthy monitoring program which allows you to secretly track all activities of computer users and automatically deliver logs to you via Email or FTP"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ssmgr.exe-6756.html

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5 in "SAFE MODE".
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Follow Symantec's manual removal instructions found here. This involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

When done, perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan [ActiveScan Panda does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms.]
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 briank777

briank777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

my suggestion is go to www.majorgeeks.com and to the left of the homepage is all the programs to pick through. go to anti virus the go to avg free version, this is the best anti virus today on the net by far

#5 snypa1

snypa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

Thanks to all 3 of you, very helpeful and offered very fat responses. Im going to go to the links provided, and I'll check back.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

I found this 007 Spy Software shareware program listed at MajorGeeks a few minutes ago. So the first thing to try is to go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, highlight 007 Spy Software and select remove if present.

Then do the scans and delete any files/ registry entries that remain as per the removal instructions.

Edited by quietman7, 22 May 2006 - 01:11 PM.

#7 snypa1

snypa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the help and replies, but it seems, after lengthy scanning and using a range of detection tools, im not infected. I dont know what it was but after I ended that process, it never came back, and using the links provided, I never came across any of the files that should have been present if i was infected. Thanks for the help.

Strange though, maybe it was in the midst of installing when I noticed it and ended it?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:28 PM

Your welcome. Glad to hear you resolved the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users