Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network is a mess

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vanmol

vanmol

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

HI-------I screwed it up all by myself and I now get so many different errors that it is beyond saving. Problem is I don't know how to start from scratch by deleting the existing networks and starting new.

I'm running windows 7 ultimate.  A DSL modem and a Linksys wrt54gl router. I'm also using PureVPN. 

A little encouragement and some instructions would be appreciated. Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

Please download and run

First I need you to grab Speccy you can download it here. (this is made by the same company that make CCleaner, and will give a total printout of your machines current state.)

(this is from DC3 thanks to him for the easy guide)

Click on File Tab after program finishes running, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

Screen will appear, click on Yes.

Next, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

If you have any questions please ask.  If something is not clear please ask before you do it.

Please Allow 24 hrs. between posts for my next post.  We help more than one person at a time.  Thanks for trusting us here.  I look forward to your reply.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 vanmol

vanmol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UNAXpAOWFw8mLkDrALKz4uC                          Thanks much for the response. Hope this helps.  Frank

#4 vanmol

vanmol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Czarboom------Hi,  Trying to document problems encountered.

#1---When connected to home network I can use the internet but utorrent will not download any files.

#2---Troubleshoot home network----It tells me I'm configured correctly but DNS server is not responding.

#3---When connecting using VPN it will say connected but without internet access. I have learned that instead of using PureVPN server it keeps changing back to this server--

(S070101.pointserver.com) which does not allow internet connection. I enter the correct server name but it won't stick.

I will continue to look to problems and pass them on.   Thanks for you assistance.   Frank

#5 vanmol

vanmol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

I'm getting dizzy from this.--------Utorrent is downloading it was just taking a very very long time to conneect to peers. Current download starts quickly now after stopping it.

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

OK, Here is a few things to try

Clear Router cache

1. First off if you have not done this already.  Disconnect your computer if connect by CAT5, and your router by unpluging it, and your modem by unpluging it.
  2. Wait 30 seconds to 1 min, and plugin your Modem ONLY
  3. Wait up to 1 min for it to totally power up.
  4. Plug in your router and wait 1 min for it to totally power up.
  5. Connect you computer to the router (if you using WiFi Windows should do this for you).

Try to run your normal services.  Still not working?

Release and Renew your IP in Windows

1. Click “start” then select the option in the run bar type “cmd” and when the icon comes up right click on the icon and select "run as administrator".

2. Command prompt pops up, in the prompt type the below commands.

1. ipconfig /release    (to release the IP address)

2. ipconfig /renew      (to renew the IP address)

3. ipconfig /all            (to check to see if your now connected again.)

Try running your network again.  Still down?

Clear your DNS Cache (just do the Flush Windows Cache and Display Cache NOTHING else)

1. Go to Start and type CMD
  2. When the CMD icon comes up, right click on it and select "Run as Administrator"
  3. Follow this guide here.  For the commands and what to do.

Lastly, try to change your DNS if your still down  (make sure to do a ipconfig /all and write down all your current settings before you start this.)

Go here for a guide to do this.

Without you running Speecy so I can see what is going on in your computer and network, this is all I can do for you.  If this does not work please run the program and follow the steps and I would be glad to help you out

good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#7 vanmol

vanmol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

czarboom------Actually I ran speecy and sent the file as instructed. It's listed in the repys. The have already done the modem and router stuff without success. Will try the rest asap. If you can check out that speecy file and see anything let me know.  Thanks again for your help.  Frank

#8 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

Ooops sorry about that, I got lost in duel monitors.  You did do that, thank you let me look at them and get back to in 5may2014 evening time USA CST.

thank you

CZARBOOM 

#9 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

Ok, I did a fast look, and have one question right off.  Does you bitdefender block P2P connections?  Or did it get set to a default setting that blocks P2P (peer 2 peer).  If so that could be why your Utorrent program is not running, or running right.

Also could you do a ipconfig /all and show me what it says  does it look like this at all?

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadband Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 203.187.206.137(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0        (is there something here but 0.0.0.0)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.109.71.154
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-64-83-97-42
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24bd:df2b:520f:f0fc%12(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.240.252(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :                   (what about here is this blank or are there letters and numbers?)
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251667812
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-68-A9-4A-00-25-64-83-97-42
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

I ask becuase if your always using enternet to get on your computer the ISP might only allow a few logins (IE Ips and MACs ) in any configuration.  Meaning if Utorrent is trying to create a new line your router or modem might not allow it.  Check your routers website and make sure you have the latest firmware.

I will do more looking this evening.  Unless you use it shut off IPv6, and see if it works. Also, uninstall Utorrent, keep IPv6 off, renew and release IP, and they your torrent again.  (do a reboot before you try it)

Let me know anything that you find that looks odd, or is not normal to you.

CZARBOOM 

#10 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

ALso, you seem to be missing some of the info that Speccy puts out.  If you look at your Speccy report vs one I just did.  In the network section you are missing something that looks like this:

Adapters List

Enabled
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter #2
IP Address: 192.168.1.xxx
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway server: 192.168.1.xxx
DHCP: 192.168.1.xx
DNS Server: 209.18.47.xxx
                     209.18.47.xx
                      192.168.1.xxx
Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) #2
Network Shares Users: 
C:\Users
Current TCP Connections
avp.exe (1836)

Please run it again, make sure your computer is online and connected.
RIGHT CLICK AND RUN IT AS ADMINISTRATOR PLEASE
Copy and paste the Network info for me again, or the whole log. 
Yours should look similar to what I provided above.  We need to be sure that your online and that your DNS and IPs are matching up. 
Do you use DHCP or Static IPs?

Lastly, get online so you can use the internet.  Turn off bitdefender and see if your Utorrent runs.  If it does then Bitdefender is blocking torrents.  To get around this
  • Go into Utorrent and select a Port range for it to run at (e.g. 5000-6000)
  • In Bitdefender whitelist this port range.  Reboot and see if it still works.  ( remember this has its own risks for when not using Utorrent disable whitelist in bitdefender) 
  • Look in the Firewall for the Ports that are blocked
  • Look at your windows home groups.  Leave all your home groups, then plug in via ethernet to your router and configure it again.  This could be the issue.  Meaning you turned off a file sharing in Home Group, or changed the password and its trying to connect with a password that no longer exists. 

Overall, can you tell me what happened before this started?  Did you add bitdefender then it stopped working?  Or something else.

Remember, if you want use the windows system restore points to take you back in time to before this was going on.  That is the fastest way to fix this.  Just save any new files from the last restore point before the issues and now, before you do this.

Edited by czarboom, 05 May 2014 - 01:12 AM.

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users