Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

phpBB Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

First, let me apologize for this enormous post - but I am quite confident that A.) it will be read, and B.) answered in a civil way.

Okay, I have a problem here. A friend and I are setting up a combination "informational site/discussion forum" targeted at a fairly specific audience. I'm pretty good with HTML and css, but I've never done anything with phpBB, except using it on free forums. We have our own domain now, and the HTML and css files are all uploaded and seem to be functioning well. The problem is this - and I'll just copy and paste the post I left at the member's forum at the host's site:

I hesitate to even ask these questions - I'm truly not a complete n00b at this, though I'm by no means a guru, either.

Issue # 1:

I'm trying to install phpBB 3.0.12 on my site. Following the installation instructions on the phpBB site, I have:

1.) Unpacked and uploaded all files and folders to my site.
2.) Set the permissions in config.php to "666."
3.) Set the permissions to "777" on the following folders: store/, cache/, files/, and images/avatars/upload.

(As an aside, yes, I do have a mySQL database process that is presently running.)

Again, following the instructions to install phpBB 3.0.12 on my site, I should now be ready - and have the ability - to point my browser to the location on my site where the file "index.php" is located. This in turn is supposed to bring up the Introduction screen.

Well, guess what? It doesn't.

Pointing my browser to the correct location (I checked it three times) returns the following error:

www.s-st.org

500 Internal Server Error

An error has occurred while handling your request. The most common reasons for this are:

A malfunctioning script or CGI application.
    An invalid or inaccessible .htaccess file.

Please contact the site administrator for assistance.

If you are the site administrator:

Enable and check your site's error log for more information.
    Check to make sure CGI scripts are set properly executable.
    Make sure CGI scripts are uploaded in Unix text file format (newline-only).

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to Add: I enabled error logs, and tried again to install phpBB. The attempt was still unsuccessful. This is what the log file told me:

[Sat May 03 15:46:48.555544 2014] [core:alert] [pid 92276:tid 34396976128] [client 172.17.0.142:32659] /f2/sost/public/site_html_files/forum/.htaccess: Invalid command 'Order', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
[Sat May 03 15:46:53.853864 2014] [core:alert] [pid 92276:tid 34396978176] [client 172.17.0.142:33202] /f2/sost/public/site_html_files/forum/.htaccess: Invalid command 'Order', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

Issue #2:

My site is designed to be a combination of static informational pages and a discussion forum for those who wish to register. Almost immediately after uploading all of the site's HTML and css files, I decided that I wanted to change a detail on one page - namely, remove a link. I did so, and then uploaded the newly modified page to the site, overwriting the file that was there. That was yesterday.

As of today, the server cache refuses to flush the original page. I use Win7, so I tried - repeatedly, both yesterday and today - using Ctrl+Shift+R to force the server to refresh the page, but to no avail. That is still the case today. I closed and reopened my browser, made sure that my browser cache was cleared, etc. I tried everything I could think of to resolve this.

Just how long does it REALLY take for NFSN to flush out the cache?

Again, any help will be appreciated.

Edit to Add: If you need the site particulars to check into this, it is
http://www.s-st.org
If further information is needed, please let me know.

So, quite soon after posting the above, I received the following reply:

Invalid command 'Order', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

This error indicates that you're using a .htaccess file intended for Apache 2.2 with an Apache 2.4 site.  Either ask the phpBB folks for Apache 2.4 instructions, read the upgrade guide and figure it out yourself, or switch to an Apache 2.2 site.  (But the latest PHP is only available with Apache 2.4, and you'll need to switch to 2.4 eventually.)

I am forced to admit that this rather abbreviated response left me clueless. If anyone can help me in the process of installing phpBB to my site, I would be eternally grateful. I'm using NearlyFreeSpeech.Net as my host; they are are using PHP 5.4 and mySQL. Frankly, I'm lost.

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Please disregard this post. I had a typo in the updated .htaccess file that I had uploaded. Once I corrected that, I was able to begin the installation process. Sorry about that...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 04 May 2014 - 09:31 AM.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hmmmm...

Regarding my first post, Issue #2. The page in question STILL has not refreshed on the server side - the link that I removed from the page and then followed up by overwriting the existing file on the server is still there. I can get absolutley no response regarding this on the site itself. Does anyone know what might cause this? By the way - this was happening prior to the installation of phpBB, if that's at all relevant.

Edit to Add: I just discovered that I can edit the file and save it through Filezilla. However, I do NOT want to be in a position of having to do that every time I update a web page. Any advice would be awesome.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 03 May 2014 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users