Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP printer suddenly won't allow non-HP ink cartridges

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 misssbb

misssbb

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I have an HP Officejet J5780 All-in-One, and got so disgusted with ink cartridges "expiring" and the ridiculous prices of new ones, that I bought two reconditioned (or whatever it's called) cartridges from Meritline and have been extremely happy with the quality and longevity.  Two black "HP74XL" cartridges for $13.95, instead of one for three times as much.

A month or so after successfuly installing and using the second one, I got an error message saying "the right cartridge has to be replaced."   I restarted the computer, unplugged the printer and it solved the problem for a couple of days.  When it happened again and the aforementioned didn't work, I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it using only the Basic Driver, thinking that maybe it wouldn't have whatever it is that won't let you use a non-HP cartridge.  And disabled all updates.  Still nothing.  And I cleaned the bottom of the ink cartridge, too.

Emailed and called Meritline, which has zero customer support, and spent literally hours online trying to find a workaround for my model, but no luck.  There is the possibility that there's an issue with the cartridge itself, but the only way to verify that is to spend the better part of $40 on an HP cartridge to see if that works.

It made more sense to just buy a new printer, which I did last night - a Brother MFC - J470 DW.  It got really good reviews from the majority of reviewers on Amazon.  Didn't see anything about ink cartridge issues, but if it has them too, Amex will give me my money back.

Before I open the box, I just want to see one more time if anyone knows a workaround for my specific model, because I really can't afford a new printer.

Thank you for any advice you might have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

You may want to look at cleaning the contacts where the cartridge meets the printer, both the cartridge contacts and printer contacts. I believe cleaning the contacts in mentioned in the manual.

#3 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Did that and there was so much gunk in there I couldn't believe it!  Didn't make a difference.  So I remembered I had a credit at Best Buy and went down there and got an HP ink cartridge and whadda ya think?  It worked.  It's possible the other one had some kind of flaw, but it had been fine for over a month...  Thank you for the advice.

Still looking for a technology/programming work-around

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

If you decide to go back to compatible cartridges you may want to look at ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Hp-74XL-74-XLCB336WN-Black-Ink-Cartridges-/380410445623?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item58923abf37

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-HP-75XL-Color-Ink-Cartridges-Officejet-J6450-J6480-J5780-J6488-CB338WN-/390811480367?pt=US_Ink_Cartridges&hash=item5afe2df12f

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

So many printers have hit the scrap heap over just the problem you saw.  HP likes to use a small tray/ramp affair to collect the ejected ink from the cartridge during initialization.  I gets so gummed up that it can freeze the carriage from moving.  The contact area of the cartridge carrier needs to get wiped with alcohol to insure good connections.  I do not load the HP software, connect it with USB , let the OS find new hardware and software drivers off the internet.  That will save you all the bloatware HP puts on their installation disks and up to five more processes added to the loop.

#6 misssbb

misssbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thank you JohnC_21, I'll definitely check it out.

mjd420nova, thank you too, but the last two sentences are way above my paygrade.  Is OK, please don't waste your time trying to explain it.  You had me (confused) at not loading the HP software, can't imagine how it would work then, but obviously you're smart enough tto have figured it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users