Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding a SSD to my computer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ndancosse

ndancosse

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

Guys  i might be ok , i might be in a mess . I really dont know  right now so heres where im at.

I bought a 120 Gig SSD. Toshiba.

I wanted to just run my OS on SSD and storage on original HDD.

So i didnt have a reinstall disk as many tutorials suggested . I ordered a reinstall disk and i Booted from DVD drive.

Went through install process and  rebooted comp and went into Bios and tried setting SSD as Boot device.

End up getting Bootmgr is missing .hit ctrl + Alt + delete.

So i switched boot order back to original HDD .

This is where im not sure if im ok.

When i start comp ,it just gives me start up options to start from windows system on SSD or Windows in HDD. I start with the SSD.

Should i concentrate on figuring out how to make the SSD the boot device or not?

If so , im not sure at all how to get a bootmgr  to install.

Now the reason i got a SSD .

1. Im kinda new to upgrading comps and this was what after watching videos  seemed like a great idea because yes i play games on my comp.

2. I was explained that i could run windows OS on SSD  and store everything else on HDD. So would i have to install the games i play , on my SSD and use up the SSD space  or can i just leave them on HDD when i play them, they will boot up and run through the SSD?

3.I have been running the SSD for a few days and  love how fast it runs and would love to know anything you think i should know to make things run optimal through SSD.

4. Should I install my antivirus and malware software  on the SSD or can i just run them from where they are now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:29 AM

When i start comp ,it just gives me start up options to start from windows system on SSD or Windows in HDD. I start with the SSD.

Have both drives got an os installed on them?  Your storage drive shouldnt have an os on it. ( Was this your C Drive)

4. Should I install my antivirus and malware software  on the SSD or can i just run them from where they are now?

Your ssd is the main/boot drive With an OS on it I didnt think you could install AV software on another drive.

When I installed my SSD  I took out the old drive installed the SSD and reinstalled the OS ( Linux in my case) and all the software.

You can use cloning software but I decided on a clean install.

. I was explained that i could run windows OS on SSD  and store everything else on HDD. So would i have to install the games i play , on my SSD and use up the SSD space  or can i just leave them on HDD when i play them, they will boot up and run through the SSD?

True, but a lot of software will install to c/progfiles and you do not have a choice in this. I think you will have to reinstall the games,

Edited by NickAu1, 03 May 2014 - 01:34 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

FWIW:  The system will run fine whether programs are installed on the Windows/boot drive/partition...or whether they are installed on a different partition/drive.  I have a couple of SSDs and I install Windows (dual-boot) and programs on the SSD drives/partitions...while I store all data files of any sort on HDD partitions/drives.

IMO...splitting up Windows and programs probably increases the risk of dysfunction between the two, since file corruption on either drive/partition could impair the functional quality of any program...but that's just the way that I look at things, I like the registry, Windows, and programs installed on the same partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users