Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage crippling computer out of nowhere!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Porfa

Porfa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

Error:
So about 3 weeks ago my pc was plagued with a terrible noise coming from the liquid cooler, followed by very high CPU usage and temperatures.

Fix 1:

About 2 weeks ago I downloaded Malwarebytes and Spybot: Search and Destroy. Next I cleaned all of my computer's fans (although it's primary cooler is liquid). It seemed that upon running some virus scans and restarting my PC, the horridly loud noise vanished, and my PC is quiet as a ghost.

Only half of the problem was fixed:
Now though, my PC seems to have the same issues with the CPU, but not loud noises. I am usually able to run several tabs with processes like HD videos streamed all at once with little stutter, but now watching a single 480p video slows my computer to a crawl. When running my computer for prolonged amounts of time or several processes, my PC even crashes and gives me a blue screen! 

Please Help!

All I am looking to do is restore my PC to it's former glory. Any help is appreciated, I tried to make this is easy and detailed to help you guys out! Thank you all!

What Troubleshooting Has Taught me;

• My browser is not the issue
  • There appears to be no more malware or viruses
  • *IMPOTANT*CPU's temperature appears to be the issue (High temp = slow PC)
  • Videos are NOT the only things that are extremely slow
  • No programs appear to be sucking up the CPU usage
  • Power usage might be a factor?

EDIT: Here is the error report I get from WhoCrashedMyPC

On Sat 5/3/2014 2:17:59 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050214-54288-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8004FA2028, 0xB2000000, 0x81000402)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

Edited by Porfa, 02 May 2014 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

I can't really follow your thought process on this, CPU overheating could probably explain your symptoms. CPU's overheat when they are inadequately cooled, not because of viruses, I don't know why you were virus/spyware scanning. 

Error:
So about 3 weeks ago my pc was plagued with a terrible noise coming from the liquid cooler, followed by very high CPU usage and temperatures.

Do you have any reason to believe that your liquid cooling system is working? 

I really don't know that much about liquid cooling systems for CPUs, but I'm sure you need a working pump, a tank/reservoir for the coolant and intact piping from your pump to the CPU and back again.

#3 Porfa

Porfa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

I read that malware and viruses can cause your CPU to run a lot harder, and your cooler will work harder (thus being louder) to compensate for the work load. I don't know much about liquid cooling systems either, but from what I understand they consist of a pump and water reservoir. The cooling system I have is a "closed" system I think, and doesn't require refilling. I just don't know how to check if the pump is actually working.

Edited by hamluis, 03 May 2014 - 12:19 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote box - Hamluis.

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:42 AM

With a working liquid cooling system, your CPU shouldn't be overheating- even if the CPU is being used a lot. Some of the electrical properties of materials are temperature-dependent, and a complicated electrical device like a computer processor isn't going to behave normally if it's overheating. The crazy overuse of the CPU was probably a symptom of overheating, not the cause.

You should get in contact with either whoever installed your cooling system, and find out how to make sure it's still working, and also how to fix it if it isn't. The pump may have stopped working, or all the coolant may have leaked out of your system, or I don't know what.

Edited by yu gnomi, 03 May 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,759 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

IMO the pump died!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users