Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ack

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

Sorry, I'm frustrated.  Every now and then someone asks me to work on a computer and when I do... things go from bad to worse.  I don't know how it happens only that, that's how computers work sometimes.  This may be a hardware issue but it didn't start out that way if it is...

Current issue...  got a BSOD and it shut down before I could be sure of what it said.  I want to say that other than 0s there was a 9 in it... but I can't promise.  It did a memory dump(if that was successful) so, I may just have to take the hdd out and try to access the file from there.  Anyway, after the BSOD, there's no display.  I've started and shut down(by holding the power button, yay) several times.  Trying the onboard laptop display as well as the external I use...  NOTHING.  You can hear it all running but, nothing is happening.  ugh.

Full story...
Several months ago I worked on this for this lady, just had to put in a new screen.  That all went really well... no issues at all.
Last month she messaged me on facebook to say she had an error...  api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll was missing.  She didn't get the laptop to me til just the other day... (Hp g6-1b59wm)
The error popped up for a TON of apps that needed it.  NOTHING worked right.  The outdated AV wasn't working, windows update wasn't working, IE, well I couldn't even find that at the time. 
I searched the internet for quite a while and the advice out there was quite varied and limited.  I found a site saying it was a bad idea to simply download that file because it could be loaded with malware if I did, etc...  I tried all sorts of steps with trying to repair or find the file, etc...  No luck.  So, I resorted to a system restore... which I had to do from the startup repair menu via my copy of windows 7 on a flash drive.  :)
It said it failed.  So, I went to an earlier date(there was a lot of bad programs on it and one that I think may have been part of the problem, I went before that.)
Second date I tried failed as well...  But when the computer restarted, it said it was successful.  go figure.  That's windows for you.
So, that worked.  Then I had a lot of work to do.  I took off the old and expired norton 2011.  I installed comodo and ran it, malwarebytes and ran it(found a lot of junk), ran a few windows updates...  And I was still in the process of uninstalling some unwanted programs through add/remove in control panel. 
It was slow going but I was making progress and felt good about it all.
Then out of nowhere, for no apparent reason, BSOD... and now, no display.
I was working on this thing half the day today so I'm not opening it up tonight... but, what on earth?  :/
Sound hardware?  Sometimes you're just not in the mood for such a problem.  I was just updating her earlier on how it was going and now... 5 steps backwards.  humbug.
I will assume that it is not the screen or the cable as both internal and external displays are currently not working.  :/
Why can't things just go smoothly like they're supposed to?  :/  ha

Edited by hamluis, 03 May 2014 - 12:00 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:54 AM

Sounds like hardware issues. How does it run on battery power vs plugged in? Volt test the bios battery. Do a hd diagnostic, memcheck. Check minidumps and logs.

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

The computer is running, there's just no display.  I wouldn't think the hdd or memory would affect that.  I cannot check those while they're in that laptop now because I can't see to test anything.
I will take the hdd out and connect it to my own machine, run diagnostics, and see if I can track down any dumps..... 
I'm just not in the mood to take apart a laptop right now.  :/
What are the odds of this happening while cleaning up malware? 
NOTHING displays... no bios/startup, etc...  just a blank screen even using my external display.
eh...  I hate when I feel like I'm on track with something and then it goes sideways like this.

Edit: browsing through the hdd on my own computer...  the only dmp file I can find is from March. 

Edited by millipede, 03 May 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Perhaps while you are in there you should at least volt test the cmos/bios battery....or maybe even replace it...just to rule out the possibility.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

How does it run on battery power vs plugged in?

I never checked that...

But, I finally did test it with my multimeter.  It's analog, and though I've had it for a while, I've never really used it for anything.  So, I had to search how to check it and read it properly.
Because it's analog, I'm not sure how accurate it is.  The battery from that one registered at just a hair above 3v BUT, it shows as a bit above 0 to begin with.  I'd have to say it was actually just a HAIR below 3 v when you factor in the discrepancy at 0...
So, just to see what it was like... I pulled another cmos battery from another laptop... same size, shape, voltage.  This registered just a hair stronger than the other one...  Because it's analog and there's not a lot to look at, I could only guess that the difference was about .2 volts between the two.
Since it was better I figured... might as well.  Stuck it in, popped the hdd and the battery back in... and it's on.  Internal and external displays are working just fine... so far.  The power cord wasn't plugged in, but is now.
uh oh...  ACK...  the screen JUST looked messed up and then disappeared... then came the blue screen again...  grrrrr...  NO display after the bsod but the computer is still running.
Give me a few minutes... I have a picture of the popup I got when I started windows saying windows recovered from a crash... 
If helpful, I can put the hdd back to my computer and see if I can find the dmp it mentioned.  :/
While I was hoping it was all better.....  I had this feeling that something was still going to happen.  :(

Edit: I'll have those pictures in a few...  I tried turning it back on, nothing.  So, shut it off...  took the laptop battery out and just plugged it in... turned on.
But...  I have this connected externally to a switch(I hit scroll lock twice to switch back and forth) and during a switch, the screen went blank... didn't shut off, just went blank this time.  Something... somewhere... is just not right.

Edited by millipede, 04 May 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

10247434_10152183080983370_9122463476689

10341650_10152183081128370_1138710997092

Let me know what I need to search on that, or if I should try and fetch those files...  or, if I should just test something else somehow.....  computers...  almost as frustrating as humans...

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

At the moment, I'm reading a thread on another forum that says 9f is a power state drive failure(something like that) and changes in the power state would cause the error(including going to sleep).
I don't recall what happened the first time I got the bsod... BUT...  the screen does flicker when I change with the switch from one computer to the other.  It has to change a signal or something going from the normal display to external.  The screen blinks when that happens so, if 9f is what I'm reading, this switching COULD be triggering the bsod.
The screen still isn't coming on right now so I'll wait a while.  If it comes back on I will just avoid using the switch and see what happens.  Will keep researching in the meantime...  and again, let me know if you need any of those files.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

Buy a new battery.....they are supposed to put out 3V+/- 10%......that tiny little bit may make all the difference

CR2032 3.0V Lithium battery...typically under $5

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

The second one I tested, it it wasn't 3v it was only a hair under.  (it's from a laptop that's only a few years old and has been sitting most of that time)  Like I said though, that meter was a little difficult to read with accuracy.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a new one just the same.  Looks like they have them at radio shack and walmart(walmart being cheaper)

For the moment, I'm going to play with the computer without using the switch.  I discovered that the only way to get the screen back on was to remove the cmos battery and put it back in.  I let it sit overnight and nothing...  so I took that battery out, waited a minute, put it back in... and, it's working.  Hit F2 thinking I was going into Bios but it's for diagnostics on this HP...  So what the heck, I'm there... running diagnostics now... mostly memory, hdd, etc.  memory test passed, smart check passed, short dst passed, now running optimized dst.  Will run a few others most likely and then boot to windows, try running more updates AND track down those dmp files if they're there.

Edit: I'm still leaning towards using that switch causing the power state issue.  I'm still running those diagnostic tests... it's running a "system tune-up" right now and it's been going for a few hours with no failures.  We'll see how it performs when I get into windows as well a little later.

Edited by millipede, 05 May 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

update... put in new battery... as I mentioned before, simply taking that little thing out and putting it back in again would reset it...  Anyway, the new batter had a LITTLE more voltage than the old so it sure doesn't hurt....  After it booted, I left it alone.  I went outside(stupidly) to open and clean a tower that I was planning on looking at.  When I came back in, the laptop was blank again.  Shutting it down and restarting had no affect, again. 
I read in another forum, another discussion, that simply going to sleep could cause the power state failure...  I am guessing that's what happened while I was outside.
So...  The battery is not 'causing' the issue......  in another discussion someone was talking about a driver issue that would cause that power state issue...  I am guessing those dmp files might be helpful.  Frustrating.......... 

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

Well hardware or malware/viruses act similar. The first thing those viruses do is alter your boot with their start up files. If the bootloader is corrupt it will sit at a black screen because it just doesn't know what to do. If you have a windows cd you boot into command and can take a look at the bootloader by running bcdedit.exe at the C: prompt. Also be aware booting off a cd C: may not be C: So do a dir on D: or E: and make sure you see the windows files there. You can run X:Windows\sytem32\bcdedit.exe > Z:\bcdedit.txt If that doesn't work then try X:\Windows\System32\bcdedit /store X:\Boot\BCD /enum or..... X:\Windows\System32\bcdedit /store X:\Boot\BCD /enum > Z:\bcdedit.txt Where X is the system drive and Z is the destination of where the bcdedit.txt file will output to like a USB stick. If you run bcdedit within a good running windows it will give you an idea of what it looks like for a good running system. On the other system you might see something like..Device {unknown} etc this is tell tale sign something is wrong with the bootloader and it needs to be rebuilt.

You can also run the utility rstrui.exe from within the Windows recovery console. If there is a restore point it can deal with a corrupt registry. However, viruses tend to attack the restore point as well and delete it. It's a 50/50 chance if it is registry related restore point will help in that regard.

Also, Have you tried booting into safe mode? Safe mode will usually bypass drivers, malware etc stop msconfig startup files so it can boot to a minimum. I have come across viruses and malware that attacks a system like that, or the system would boot and you can't access cmd, regedit, msconfig, admin tools etc. The only thing you can do is try to bypass it with a system disk for recovery, or run a linux boot disk, or other bootable utilities and virus scanners at it.

#12 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

I know there's a lot of things I've said and it's not always easy to follow me but I'll try to explain...
This is a hardware issue that may or may not be caused by a software issue. 
It's not a bootloader issue, or at least not as you described.
Nothing crashes until I'm in windows for a bit.  I am FAIRLY sure(by what I've seen so far) that the bsod and then hardware failure occurs after a power state change... I didn't see the last time because I was outside but I would guess the laptop tried to sleep.  Previous times it happened at least once or twice right after me using my switch.
Basically, when I hit the scroll lock key on my keyboard twice, it would switch between my own computer and this laptop I'm working on.  Keyboard, mouse, and screen are shared via the switch.  When I switch between them, the laptop (any laptop I've ever done this with) will blink as the motherboard or something has to switch from outputting to the external, to not doing so.  The screen goes blank for a second as it switches.  With this computer, after that happens, everything goes bad.
I have no issues with actually getting into windows.  What happens is, after the error occurs and the screen goes blank... it's not just blank, it's OFF...  internal and external are completely inactive.  Next reboot, still nothing.  No backlit screen... no bios/startup... It's just off completely on both.  This error or failure isn't happening during startup.  I'd bet money startup is happening just fine without me seeing it.
What I have to do is take the cmos battery out and put it back in.  That somehow resets the hardware failure.  So, then I can get into windows and poke around til it happens again.
In the morning I will do that, and continue to not use my switch... and also turn off any screen saver and sleep functions in case that is in fact triggering the issue.  I'll then proceed to check drivers and all.
This all happened after doing a system restore.  There was an error I could not get rid of that was preventing basically EVERY application to not load.  Couldn't open anything.  I disabled startup items and checked a LOT of things thinking it may have been malware... but, it was a missing dll file.  The sites I looked at said the best thing to do was a system restore.  I did that and wound up with this new issue. 
I hope this is all making sense.  I don't always get what I'm trying to say across to others so well.  So far it SEEMS to be a hardware issue caused by software(possibly a driver). 

Worth mentioning again would be that AFTER the restore and BEFORE the issue at least appeared... I installed several programs including comodo antivirus....  malwarebytes, firefox, ccleaner.  Nothing I don't normally install...  but, it could be that one of those may play a part in this as well.......  ?

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:11 AM

Does it have a SSD? SSD drive's are known to have issues with sleep/hibernation/power profiles.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

Does it have a SSD? SSD drive's are known to have issues with sleep/hibernation/power profiles.

Yes even on Linux it seems.

#15 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

I'm going to lose my mind with this computer and my wife's laptop... 
No ssd in this one. 
Any other thoughts?
I THINK that instead of popping out the cmos battery... I can simply have the laptop's battery out, unplug the laptop, and hold down the power button for a bit.  I read this somewhere and last time I tried, it did the same thing as if I had taken the cmos battery out.
Seems ANY power state change causes the screen to not work...  So, I am TRYING to disable the screen saver since it seems even that will cause this issue...  And, I'm tired of having to reset the power of this thing over and over.
BUT... I've tried twice JUST to get to the screen saver options and the computer freezes each time before I get there.  So, I get stuck doing a hard shutdown which... yep, causes this issue with the screen all over again.

I'm under SO much stress right now...  I want to just give them the computer back and ask them to take it somewhere else.  Just had a baby less than three weeks ago and planning on taking a 1500 mile trip in a few days that I do not want to go on...  but...  eh...  I just want to crawl under a rock...    blah.
Just been having a rough time lately...  hopefully I can figure out a few of these stupid issues so I can move past those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users