Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Home Premium Problem w/NIC or PPPoE "Connection failed with error 711"

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sseccajd

sseccajd

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

I have installed Windows 7 Home premium on my desktop. 

My NIC is not identifying my network and I can't ping anything.  I have called comcast and verified my account member id and password.  I am able to connect to my laptop PPPoE but on my desktop, I can't!

I am having a big issue I came across some options to delte some Registry Stuff in regedit but I am not sure if this is correct?  My NIC has never had any problems in the past up until now

I am getting the error "Connection failed with error 711"

Also with my router I am also not able to have a hard wired connection from the desktop to the router.  I have been connecting with the Wireslss NIC--no issues.

I want a hard wired connection though for other reasons now!

Does anyone have a soultion for this?  I looked it up on online and get a ton of suggestions but I don't know whats correct or waht to delete from my registry .

Please there has to be a fix.. ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I think I'd replace the ethernet NIC or router...sounds like a hardware problem from what I see.

At the least, I would test the router on another system.

I suggest leaving the idea of "deleting things in the registry"...far outside the scope of intended actions until you have verified that the hardware is not at fault.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

This can be caused by corrupt files, please run a sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Sart orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow file type cmd, run as administrator, copy and paste the following, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sseccajd

sseccajd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Thank you Arachibutyrophobia yfor your input.  I have followed your instructions but when I open an elevated command prompt and type in sfc /scannow I get this:

windows resource protection could not start the repair service.

I did a google search and its asking me to boot in safe mode, or restart windows modules installer.

So I don't know which one to do, or if these is even what I have to do.  Is my computer or Windows install corrupt? Thanks for any and all input.  Have a blessed day.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

The Error 711 problem can occur if some or all of the following services aren't started:

·        Plug and Play
·        Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
·        Remote Access Connection Manager
·        Telephony

To fix this problem, follow these steps for each of the services listed above:

1.      Click on the Start orb, then typeservices in the Search programs and files box.

Services will appear above the search box under Apps, right click on it and choose Run as administrator. 

If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.      Right-click one of the services listed above, and then click Properties.

3.      Click the General tab, and then, next to Startup type, select Manual.

4.      Click Apply, and then click Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 sseccajd

sseccajd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

I went to services.msc and was prompted with the screen you indicated.

1) Plug and Play was grayed out next to startup type on automatic and was running..

2) Remote Access Auto Connection Manager was not running.  I switched startup type from Automatic to manual ...and hit apply.  I then hit Start and was prompted with this:

Windows could not start the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service on Local Computer.

Error1068: The dependency serbvice or group failed to start..

3) Same thing with Remote Access Connection Manager " "

4) Telephony was running---- the startup type wasn't grayed out and I was able to change it from Automatic to Manual... and start it up again...

So the problem lies b/t RASAuto and RASMan??

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Please do the following.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

#8 sseccajd

sseccajd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:38 AM

Hi dc3 and hamluis..,.

I think you are right hamluis my wifi card/ethernet port are both fried...

dc3...I never did what you suggested but now I have done a full clean install and not only is my ethernet port acting up but also my wireless connection is acting up. which it always did act up quite a bit but my router at the time was RIGHT NEXT to the computer so it was never an issue but the WiFi bars were never at full capacity as they should've been.

I think it has something to do with my NIC, do you suggest I still take your advice wit the repair as you stated even though I just did a complete re-installation of windows home premium today? Even now i am having a difficult time staying connected even on this page/forum through this computer. Let alone, post this... 

If i need to change the NIC is it difficult I have never done it? It's alsmost as if it so full of dust in there or something that the connection is bad.  Should Ij ust go in there and spray some duster to clean around it?  

I just want it to work and would really hate to buy a computer.  This computer is fine especialyl now that I did a full clean installation its just when I start going on the internet when everything goes ape bleep.

..suggestions?

Please do the following.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

First off, you don't need to quote my posts.

Since you reinstalled the operating system, no... you do not need to run the Repair Installation.

What Network Interface Card are you using?

Have you tried connecting another computer to the router to see if it works?

Edited by dc3, 04 August 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#10 sseccajd

sseccajd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

yes of course i have connected all my phones my chromecast ipad my macbooks (2) google tv apple tv all have no problems... my other laptop as well my pc. I am having a problem with the Wi-Fi.  Sorry for quoting your excerpt.  I thought you would only be notified about it if I quoted you.

Moving forward, Hello hamluis, thank you for your suggestion on my post. I think your right my NIC/ethernet port/Wi-Fi is fried. How can I replace it? Is it difficult? Expensive part? Can it be replaced on any computer? I have a Acer Aspire x3200..thanks in advance.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

You can purchase a USB wifi adapter from Newegg from $12.00 and up.

#12 sseccajd

sseccajd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:47 PM

That's not what i want to do. My ethernet port is fried too apparently I also want to fix my ethernet port. I can try and troubleshoot the issue though with that, so thanks for that. I have one lieing around. Let me go check it out and see if that helps the problem. I will follow up thanks.

#13 sseccajd

sseccajd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

Ok so I tried now and it fixed the problem! BUT, as I mentioned I need to fix the ethernet port too and the dongle is for another computer in the house. I mean I guess I can switch back and forth but I would like to fix the NIC on it.  Please can someone lead towards the right direction? Can i Just open it up and clean it, or do I need a new one and is it easy to install on my Acer Aspire x3200? 

#14 sseccajd

sseccajd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:13 PM

Also why does your link --point to a bluetooth usb dongle? That's not it..

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

The bluetooth dongle is less expensive and will do the job.

As for you USB port, look in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow trouble icons, or red error icons in the Universal Serial Bus controllers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users