Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mother board virus backs itself up.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Greetings all, I've been trying to fix my computer for a month. Unfortunately it hasn't been going great, at first I thought it was the port, that wasn't the case, then I figured it was the ssd, but upon receiving a new one, I was not able to download websites 8 to my ssd. 

Instead a blank drive takes forever to load, gets to one percent copied, and stops. Subsequent attempts are much faster, but the drive will sometimes show up, or won't. This leads me to believe the virus downloads itself to new drives before it will let any Windows programs run. I only managed to get hiren's boot disc running, but the mini Windows portion doesn't have any anti virus programs on it, and I can't get external drives to show up via the port on the front. 

Kaspersky anti-virus will not work as I don't have a non usb keyboard to use, and bitdefender is giving me graphical glitches upon start and won't update. The images seem to be inverted in color, and I think my graphics card might be broken.

The only thing I got to work is parted magic, which is fine to delete the data from the drive, but freezes the first time trying to do it. It may still be infected. 

The only thing I can think of doing is blanking the drive using parted magic then using a flash drive with ny bios to flash my bios. Don't even know if that'll work as I have dual bios with no physical switcher.

Can't use my friends computer anymore, as I gave him a virus trying to get the iso files for the boot disk.

The ssd is a adata 128gig ssd
The mother board is a megabyte 
There's also a terabyte drive I want to disinfect without killing

And the initial problem was a "select proper boot device"

Any help would be appreciated, especially how to make a usb bios flasher. I don't even know where to get the bios fit my board.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/533114 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

step2.gifIf you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.

DDS.com Download Link
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control can be found HERE.

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

I sent my computer away, but I'd like to know what I can do to prevent this, and what kind of virus it is.

#4 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 35,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Greetings anonymousjerkbag,

Sorry for the delay.  I would not be able to tell you what kind of virus you had, if it was a virus at all.  There could be hardware related issues.

Are you simply looking for some preventative information now?

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#5 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Well, the guy who was supposed to do it, hasn't done anything in two weeks. I may pick it up soon to deal with it. Basically, I turned my computer off, then back on the next day and it said.... "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE." So I thought it'd be the hard drive that had failed. I sent it back, and got a new one. I also thought it might be because my Windows copy was pirated, so I bought a legit one after I found out.

I plugged the new drive in, then attempted to use the Windows 8 boot disk I made to download the os to the ssd. It took forever to load, but when It started to download it only got to one percent and stopped.

All subsequent attempts to download the os were much quicker, but the boot disk wouldn't always recognize my ssd after that. And it wouldn't download past zero percent.

I tried doing the sane with Linux, but just like Windows it wouldn't download past 0 percent.

Then I tired using hirens boot disk., the Windows disk had no programs on it. I was only able to get boot magic to work, and even then, the first time I tried to wipe the ssd, it only let me after freezing up for a while and nearly crashing the computer. Every subsequent attempt was again, fine.

I think it is able to hide itself somehow, and I don't know what I can do to delete the bastard.

The other program I tried to run was kasper sky, it gave me errors and would not run in any mode.

Any idea what the hell I should do? Thus thing is an bleep.

#6 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 35,580 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

I am not sure this is virus related. Have you tested your memory?
Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#7 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

What do you mean? Switch em up and check to see if it's the slots or ram? All I was able to do was switch them in the slots. But I don't think I'd be able to run the boot discs without my hard drives if that were the case

#8 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 35,580 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

Greetings,

See if you can accomplish the following.

===================================================

Testing Computer Memory Using MemTest86+

--------------------
  • From a working computer download the latest version of MemTest86+ Windows Images: Image for creating boot-able CD , and and save it to your desktop
  • Right click on the folder and select Extract All...
  • Select Next, Next, then Finish
  • Burn the image file to a CD, as an image file. If you're unsure how to do this, see the How to Burn an ISO File tutorial.
  • Put your CD in the non-working computer's drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:

memtestStart.png

• If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:

memtestFinished.png

• On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:

memtestFail.png

• Press the reset button on the computer, removing the MemTest disk in the process
  • Report the results
===================================================

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste any requested log information unless you are asked to attach it. :thumbsup2:
  • Results?

Gary

#9 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

I can't get a bootable cd, it can't get to the desktop and no longer has an os. I think one of my rescue disks had a memory checker, but I have no idea if it's the same thing. I'll see if I get it back today.

#10 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 35,580 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

You don't have another computer to create the bootable CD?
Gary

#11 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

nope, only have mine. I figure I can make style when my computer comes back though. I'll know by the weekend what's up.

While you're here, are there any bootable anti virus that are good? Pretty much need to know preventative measures so this never happens again. Ir if it does, I can fix it.

#12 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 35,580 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Are you asking for a general antivirus program that is run when you computer works or one that is run without launching Windows (bootable)?
Gary

#13 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Both, I want my options open in case this bastard shows up again.

I narrowed it down to two things that could've dune it. A program called motion joy, and a game that was asking permission to run.

#14 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 35,580 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

avast! Free Antivirus or Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus

Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Gary

#15 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

I was using avast and it didn't pick anything up. But I'll definitely check out that emergency kit disc.

You don't think a power supply program would do this, do you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users