Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Anti Virus Software

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

Please advise a URL where I can get free Anti Virus Software.

Thank You

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Have a look at Bitdefender,not too configurable but light on resources

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

If your running xp online consider using Sandboxie,also free

http://www.sandboxie.com/

#3 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

I was using A V G which updated every day. I can't find their free download site? Is their any other program that updates daily?

Thamks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Most of them update every day,Bitdefender does..non of the free av are perfect,Avast and sometimes avg cause system problems sometimes,at least for me Bitdefenser hasnt given me any grief yet.

Have a look at the links quiteman7 posted,should help..in the end you have to find what works for you and your system.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Yes...and sometimes you need to experiment to find the most suitable anti-virus for your needs.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

Some free (& paid) security software runs better on newer computers than older ones with a low amount of RAM & single core CPU's. This is because to keep the user protected, many things will be taking place in the background, all of which consumes resources.

Those with 2GB RAM or less & single core mobile CPU's, like this IBM Thinkpad that I'm on now (while awaiting an auto repair), struggles with multi-tasking. So it may take some trying out different AV's to see which works best with these models.

Modern security software is more optimized to work with today's hardware. The more features that a CPU has, the better.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I tend to agree with that assessment.

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

it may take some trying out different AV's to see which works best with these models.

Well im happy with Bitdefender on this 1gb lappy,very low on resources even though you cant really configure it.

You could try Vipre Antivirus which is low on resources and very configurable and you can get it on trial for a month for nothing,to try.Itll probably be my choice when i put a bigger system together,once the money fairy has blessed me.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. If you don't want to pay then I recommend avast! Free Antivirus. Bitdefender would be my second choice for a free antivirus.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

Though my main desktop has Bitdefender Total Security 2014 Sphere package, unlimited PC's in same home (a $20 Newegg special), I've used ESET NOD32 for years. On computers of many different configurations, budget/older, middle of the road & higher end configurations, it runs good on all that I've installed it on. However, I've not tried to install it on any system with less than 1GB RAM.

ESET does a fairly good job of catching threats in real time, while at the same time, is scanning the underlying file system. This is where my post above comes in, it takes resources for this & to be able to use the computer for normal activities, such as Web browsing. Fortunately, NOD32 is a lightweight option, while being very effective protection.

If one lives in the US, ESET NOD32 can be often obtained for $20 (1 year/3 PC's) & is how I get it. I've also ran ESET Smart Security, however I don't recommend this for low spec computers & some of it's options may not be needed by everyone. I actually have an unactivated copy of that option that I was going to use (1 year/3 PC's), but my mother-in-law has a low spec one that needed better protection than what MSE/MBAM Free offers. So I grabbed a copy of NOD32 on promo for $20 (this is really a weekly offering at Newegg, it seems), as well as MBAM Pro, Lifetime license & installed both onto her computer after removing MSE. It already had MBAM Free installed, so all I had to do was enter the key & it became Pro. I used the other 2 NOD32 installs on my computers.

So I'll just use the ESET Smart Security option when the Bitdefender license runs out. Unless I get another unbeatable promo for Sphere again (haven't seen it for $20 since I bought it).

Some users has reported success with Avira Free, it's been a long time since I last used it, so I can't speak of how good or bad it's protection is or how it runs, in regard to system resources. I'm just throwing that out there because the option exists. Will need to try it out someday & see on a test machine.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 peterdavidson99

peterdavidson99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

Some of the best antivirus software are given below:

Immunet: http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html

Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.org/

AVG: http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Avira: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Edited by peterdavidson99, 08 May 2014 - 06:14 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

That's 100% correct, even with the Pro (now Premium) edition.

Cat

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. If you don't want to pay then I recommend avast! Free Antivirus. Bitdefender would be my second choice for a free antivirus.

I know Eset is very good,just out of interest why Avast free.it seems to cause a lot of problems on peoples systems?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users