Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Triton GA7VT600 Mother board

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_R Skola_*

Guest_R Skola_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

Some of you may have read my introduction.  I have done very little with computers, ever. I like to do things, and learn new things. For that reason I am here seeking your input, and advice. I am presently using a Triton GA7VT600 motherboard with 2 ghz mem. Can add another stick of ram.  CPU is AMD Athlon XP2500. Wind XP 2002 version sp 3.   Not state of the art technology here, but it is what I have.   I would like your input as to what upgrades you would do, and what I might expect to gain.

If I read correctly, there are at least three other CPUs that could be used. I do plan to go to a 1 TB hard drive.  I am thinking about moving to win 7, but do not want to go to win8.  OR, is there really any problem if I stick to win xp, with which I am well pleased?

Whenever I watch ANY video, the voice, and the face, are way out of sync. What can I do to fix that?

Now please turn yourselves loose. Short of buying all new, what would you do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

It is a four slot board no problem adding ram, match the type in there or go to any major ram producers site to check what can be used. 

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

I would like your input as to what upgrades you would do, and what I might expect to gain.

If I read correctly, there are at least three other CPUs that could be used. I do plan to go to a 1 TB hard drive.  I am thinking about moving to win 7, but do not want to go to win8.  OR, is there really any problem if I stick to win xp, with which I am well pleased?

Whenever I watch ANY video, the voice, and the face, are way out of sync. What can I do to fix that?

Short of buying all new, what would you do?

Well...an honest answer would be to junk that board/RAM...and move forward with a considerably newer board and faster RAM.  That's a socket A board and I don't deem it money well-spent to try to keep a socket A system running in 2014.

A board supporting Athlon XP CPUs...has missed a lot of updated technology.  I suspect that buying components (CPU/RAM) for that board...will cost you more than its worth and subject to buying "unconfirmed good" parts from eBay.

I suspect that your current board and any improvements...may not make the cut of the Win 7 hardware compatibility check, but it probably would.

Win 7 Hardware Compatibility - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware-compatible-windows#1TC=windows-7

Your video/voice synchronization problems...were common on older/slower systems and the CPU/motherboard can probably be blamed, IMO.

I understand that a working system is useful, no matter how old it is.  Rather than spend any money trying to improve on a system with the limitations that yours has because of time...I say keep your money in your pocket, start saving/planning for a newer MB and RAM and CPU...then take your money out and spend it wisely knowing that you have advanced considerably without being exorbitant with your expenditures.

You would probably be happier with your project if the parts were not so ancient.  I'm sure that you take pride in being to make something out of nothing...but sometimes it's even more rewarding to make something out of something :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 May 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

I have to agree with Louis, the system is just too old to be upgradeable to anything like even a low end current spec PC without basically replacing everything.  If money is tight it may be worth looking at refurbished machines.

I have a similar system which I am using with Windows 98 and XP purely for running old games (some of which are difficult to run on current hardware/OS).  Frankly, it's not fast enough for even basic internet browsing these days (complex web pages or having multiple tabs open cause it to grind to a halt) and it's not able to play high resolution video at anything like a decent frame rate.  A modern processor has multiple cores and will be many times faster than the old Athlon XP.

As Windows XP is end of life and no longer receiving security patches, using it online is at your own risk, and I wouldn't recommend it.  Offline of course, it should be fine.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Guest_R Skola_*

Guest_R Skola_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Louis, I can't disagree with anything you said.  I'd just like to build something up myself and have it be the best it can be. Money is scarce at my house, but it still gets back to doing it to prove to me that I can.  As I see it the Dell 3100 is a clear inferior to the one I want to up grade. Everything is a step up from the thrift store Gateway, "mad cow" I started with.. I do appreciate your opinion. Thanks for sharing it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

:thumbup2: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users