Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

My name Is Richard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_R Skola_*

Guest_R Skola_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

I accidentally addicted myself to computers when I thought I could build a pc from salvaged parts. I never did get it to do anything useful.  It needed drivers and without a use able pc I could not get them.I needed a hard drive also. I had a couple around, but could not get any signs of life. I went to a thrift store to see what I could find. I set up a monitor, keyboard, mouse and tower. Lo and behold, it worked as is. Added a couple of speakers and went home with my $21 wonder. An old Gateway that I nicknamed the "Mad Cow."  It was not great, but it worked.  It was my first, and since I had no expectations, I was not disappointed. Then a customer gave me a computer he had retired. Built By Superior, a  Builder of custom computers.   It's old. I still like it. I won't part with it.

Several months ago I had a chance to buy 3 retired Dell 3100s for $15.  I built up one to where it was a good machine for my son to use to digitize family photographs.  More recently I've tried to build up another 3100 using parts from the third machine. No matter what, I cannot get it to boot up.  I think I will now see if I can get the twin sister Superior from my customer. It too is retired to a closet.

There. That's a bit about me, and what little I've done with computers. I've learned there are only about 25 parts in the case and replacement is not usually too tough.  I am in no way expert on the subject. It is for that reason I have sought out this forum. I have some questions to ask. I'm sure most of you will have answers. Please keep the answers simple that I may understand them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Richard. :)

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users