Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

My computer's been running slower than it should for some time. I just checked "Performance Information and Tools" and it says the following:

Untitled-1.png

My motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI and my graphics card is an nVidia GeForce 6500. I also occasionally get a BSOD which says the graphics card has crashed. I'm wondering if I should get a new graphics card and if so which would be best. I don't play games but I do watch videos quite a bit. The main consideration is speed. I don't want to spend much more than $100. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

My old sys had your card, I swapped to a Galaxy GT9500 2gig card it was quite a boost.  IMO any decent 2 gig or better card will hep.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hi, the slowness you have been experiencing may not be caused by the graphics card itself, it could be something else in the system that is causing it. My suggestion, would be to work out what is actually causing the slow down before splurging out on a new graphics card as the Windows Rating system is not the best way to determine performance.

Edited by killerx525, 02 May 2014 - 08:43 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go ahead and buy a new one. I went for an EVGA GeForce GT 610 2GB card which was quite cheap, so I'm OK with that. I'm sure it'll bring some sort of improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users