Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ICE Cyber Crime Center - Virus Removal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bdavidson

bdavidson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hello, I have a computer that was infected with this virus.  I have tried unsuccessfully to run anti-malware and also tried a Kaspersky rescue disk start up as well.  Nothing has worked so far and I cannot even run Windows in safe mode.  I have an HP computer with Windows XP 32-bit.  Please let me know if there's anything more I can do to get rid of this virus.  Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

You don't specify if you have followed this guide so I will add it: ICE Cyber Crime Center Ransomware Removal Guide

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bdavidson

bdavidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, I did attempt to try Hitman but could not get it to run a scan. I believe because of one or both of the following:
1. I do not have Admin rights to the clean computer I have access to.
2. The infected computer is 32 bit and the clean computer is 64 bit

Let me know if I am doing something wrong with Hitman

Thanks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

This is a quote from one of the developers of HitmanPro.Kickstart...

The Kickstart flash drive always contains both the 32bit and 64bit versions of HitmanPro. During the boot process it is determined what type of WIndows is on the (infected) machine, and the proper version of HitmanPro is selected. This way, you can use the same Kickstart flash drive on different versions (32 / 64 bit / XP / Vista / Win7) of Windows.

So during creation of the flash drive it is not important to know what version of Windows is on the infected machine you are about to use the flash drive for.

Hitmanpro on USB FLash drive help? - Post #7 by Edwin Engels (eengels)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bdavidson

bdavidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Thanks, unfortunately that did not work either.  I am able to start the process but the program does not recognize the flash drive.  I've tried two so I'm worried it might be because I don't have admin rights to this computer.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

...I'm worried it might be because I don't have admin rights to this computer.

Why not? Is it your computer or are you fixing it for someone else? If someone else, they should be able to give you admin rights.

#7 bdavidson

bdavidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

My home computer is infected and I can't even get into safe mode.  So, I'm using my work laptop to put files on flash drives or cd's.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Then you should try using another computer (family member, friend, etc) where you have access to Admin rights or ask your work IT if they can help you create the required usb.

#9 bdavidson

bdavidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

That is not an option for me right now.  Is there something anyone can do to help?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD/Rescue CD utilities that are used to boot from in order to repair unbootable or damaged systems, rescue data, and scan the system for malware infections. Keep in mind there is no guarantee the repair will be successful and you may need to try more than one. Burn it as an image to a CD disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.

If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read:

-- Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computer’s BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:

#11 bdavidson

bdavidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I ran BitDefender and couple other ones and it looks like they removed the ransomware. One more follow up question, I use Avast as my antivirus. Do you have any other recommendations on other programs to use instead or in addition to Avast?

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

You're welcome.

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users