Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 pw recovery, ophcrack and boot CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 perico7

perico7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I have an HP Probook 4540s and cannot reset the password. I tried to reboot it with the shift key down to get to advanced options to try to enter DOS command mode so I could enter some reset commands, but it keeps coming back to the main user screen. Since there is only one user and no other admin account, I can't get in.

So I downloaded Ophcrack LiveCD (no tables) and burned the ISO to a disk. I changed the BIOS so the machine would boot from the CD, but it won't recognize it as bootable.

So I assumed that the ISO would make it bootable but it doesn't. How can I get the CD to become bootable with the Ophcrack ISO? And does anyone know if version 3.6 LiveCD is going to work with Windows 8? I can't find a specific Windows 8 download.

Otherwise, if anyone has a better way for me to reset the pw or get rid of it so I can enter a new one, I'd really appreciate it! I hate Windows 8, just might go back to Windows 7, to avoid this mess again!

Thanks in advance, guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Make sure Secure Boot and Fastboot are disabled in BIOS if they are enabled. Also set the BIOS to legacy boot from UEFI. Then change it back after you have done your work.

Another option is to create a bootable UEFI enabled flash drive with the OPhcrack iso. You would also need to disable fast-boot using a bootable flash drive. See this guide (option 1). Point it to the iso you downloaded. I like this utility instead. It will allow you to enable the hidden Administrator Account. Through that, you can reset the other account. You can also use Rufus to create a bootable Flash Drive.

#3 perico7

perico7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thanks John C. Someone else recommended the NT Password Reset tool at Pogostick, so I downloaded it to a flash drive. On the website it explains how to make the flash drive bootable and provides that file, as well. It worked great after that. Highly recommended, was easy to use. Got it done!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the update.

#5 Sultanka

Sultanka

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:33 AM

When using ophcrack, it says table not found. what does this mean?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

It means there is no tables folder on the root of your CD.

http://www.isunshare.com/ophcrack-chntpw/ophcrack-windows-7-no-tables-found.html

I think you would have a better chance enabling the hidden Administrator Account in 8.1 and using it to login.

http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

#7 Sultanka

Sultanka

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for sharing. The above methods works fine. Actually, already got the problem solved with this password reset tutorial. It is a great alternative to Ophcrack. and it is user friendly for beginners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users