Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8, needs advices please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to buy Windows 8.

May I know what are the best specifications for Windows 8 on a Desktop PC like the "ok" amount of RAM, hard drive memory, graphic card, etc?

I also heard there is a mod out there that "bring back" the start button (I'm not talking about upgrade to Windows 8.1) like classic shell, IObit, etc. What is the best one in your opinion?

What are the pro and con when you use Windows 8?

Is it good to play games?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

I would go with 8GB of RAM even though Windows 8 will run just fine on less (it's nice to have the extra overhead).  It is very good for gaming, and I spent the $5 for Start8 so that I can have the advantages of Windows 8 and the look of Windows 7.  For a hard drive I recommend either a 128GB SSD (at the minimum) or a 1TB HDD or, better yet both with the SSD as the boot drive and the HDD for storage (a common configuration).  The video card will depend on your budget and how well you want your games to perform (and what games you will be playing).  I don't have recent experience with AMD processors but I can tell you that the Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors, on the right motherboard (1155 and 1150 respectively), run Windows 8 without a hitch.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#3 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

Does it overheat during the summer?

#4 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Does it overheat during the summer?

System temps are dependent on hardware and not the operating system.  My Windows 8 PC doesn't overheat because it has adequate fans and a case with good airflow.  I'm using a stock Intel processor cooler and it works fine because I don't overclock.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

You are asking questions which would be more suited for the computer hardware.  

Is Windows 8 good for gaming?  Most any operating system will run the games, but the hardware installed in the computer will determine how well the games run.  Graphics card/s, amount of RAM, CPU, etc.

Overheating is also a byproduct of hardware.  The operating system has little if any influence on the operating temperature.

The Classic Shell by Ivosoft is arguably one of the best, if not the best start button and menu.

You will find that Windows 8 is not intuitive as previous versions of Windows have been.  The classic shell goes a long way toward remedying this, but the is a larger learning curve involved because of the large difference between previous versions and Windows 8.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Thank you very much guys. I appreciate all your replies.

Now I can't wait for my Win 8. lol

Just a last question: If you have Classic Shell, is there a way to go back to the "Metro page" (If you didn't disable Metro page)?

Edited by Pat(rick), 03 May 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

You can still use Windows 8 the way it came out of the box after installing the Classic Shell.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Ah, I'm relief now. Thank you very much :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users