Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner, roguekiller, MAM, ESET stalling

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Betalevel

Betalevel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

I followed the instructions on this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523451/infected-with-rightsurf/ after I noticed "rightSurf" & other suspicious activity in my processes log. I was extremely concerned over not being able to uninstall or delete any of these foreign programs, and that's what led me to follow the suggested protocol.

Adw, RK, and MAMB all ran smoothly, detecting and eliminating dozens of infected files in a reasonable amount of time. Now unfortunately, the ESET scan has been running for almost 2 hours and is only at 14%. Having already detected 44 infected files I certainly don't want it to stop, but I'm concerned the laptop is going to overheat if this 14 hour pace continues. I'd post the logs from the other scans, but I am following instructions not to touch the mousepad and only have the phone. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Betalevel

Betalevel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

It's windows 7 btw

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Overheating is dangerous.You mean ESET Online scanner or you have ESET Antivirus.It will not help you I think if it is polymorphic virus.14 hours to agonize your laptop is not good.Maybe to backup your information and clean with format reinstall Windows.

You can post here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

or this topic to be moved in order the situation becoming clear.The colleagues will advise you what to do.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 02 May 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#4 Betalevel

Betalevel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

It's the ESET online scanner. Up to 18% complete, still at 44 infected files. Closing in on 3 hours of scan time though. I have it on a cooling pad with the fan running, but this is going to take all day.

#5 Betalevel

Betalevel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

If I stop the scan now, is it possible to remove whatever has been found so far? or will it just abort?

#6 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I have edited.I don`t know exactly what the temperature is.You cannot be sure after scan is over that your Windows is clean,because ESET online scanner is not too deep in checking.So many infections I think it is serious.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 02 May 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#7 Betalevel

Betalevel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

I ended up stopping the search and was able to remove the infected files it had discovered to that point. May have gotten lucky, because after rebooting I regained administrative power over the control panel and removed the last few suspicious files manually. Security scans showing up clean, for now. Thanks for the help and advice!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
In the future you just may want to start the scan early in the evening before going to bed and check back in the morning.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users