Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista laptop turns off seconds after turning on

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeani72

Jeani72

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

I have a Windows Vista laptop (from my Father-In-Law) that I am trying to clean up because it is running extremely slow and you can't seem to get to IE and browse anywhere.  I downloaded TDSSKiller onto the laptop and tried to go into safe mode with networking.  However, when I got to the screen to arrow down to safe mode, the enter key was pressed on "Repair Computer".  (I was multi-tasking with my 2 yr old daughter, need I say more?).  Not knowing what that was actually doing, I let it run for about 30 minutes and then killed it by hard booting the laptop (I was not able to do anything else).  Now, when I try to turn it back on, it turns on but then a couple seconds later shuts off.  I can't seem to get it to stay powered on.  And, during these couple of seconds, the screen stays black - no flash screens of any kind.

Is this fixable or do I owe my FIL a new laptop?

Thanks for your time and help!

Rebecca

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Edited by dc3, 02 May 2014 - 10:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Here is some help from the tutorials... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ .

How did you get into the disk repair options from the F8 options?? When you bring up Safe Mode and select Safe Mode with Networking, the machine should immediately load into that option,,, it doesn't offer Repair options.

#4 Jeani72

Jeani72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

I am at work now and do not have it with me but I do know it is an Acer, just don't know the model.  I did try the F8 as soon as I power it on but no luck. 

#5 Jeani72

Jeani72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

How did you get into the disk repair options from the F8 options?? When you bring up Safe Mode and select Safe Mode with Networking, the machine should immediately load into that option,,, it doesn't offer Repair options.

In the F8 options, the first one listed was called Repair Computer, then Safe Mode, then Safe Mode with Networking.  The Repair Computer was highlighted when I reached the screen.  Long story short, out of all the keys on the keyboard, the enter key is what my daughter hit.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Does this copy of Vista have SP1 and SP2 installed?

Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Jeani72

Jeani72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

dc3, I'd love to be able to answer that but unfortunately since I can't seem to keep it powered up, I can't get that info.  Knowing my FIL, my best guess would be 32-bit and maybe SP1 at best, definitely not SP2.  He isn't computer literate so I doubt he did any updating since the purchase.  I'm just the (un)lucky fool stuck with trying to fix it.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

When you get home find out what the model of Acer is post it.

You could ask you FIL if he remembers whether he installed SP2 or not.  

If I can get this information I may be able to provide you with a website where you can download a ISO image for your version of Vista which you will be able to create a installation disc.  With this you would be able to do a Repair Installation, this will run the Startup Repair as well as enable you to use the Command Prompt.

#9 Jeani72

Jeani72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

It is an Acer Aspire 5515 Model KAW60

My FIL did not do any updates so I'm going to error on the side of caution and say it is SP1.  And, doing a bit more research, it looks like it may be 64 bit, not 32 like a stated earlier (my apologies!) 

Hopefully, and ISO boot disc will do the trick as my FIL does not have any of the original disks from purchase.

Appreciate all the help!!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

You can download a Vista ISO image at Downloads'n'fix.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a DVD.  If you post the operating system you will be using to do this I will provide you with instructions for burning the disc.

You can find a good tutorial here at Bleeping Computer.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

The link for the exe file is broken.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

I just clicked on it, it worked for me.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

I just clicked on it, it worked for me.

Strange, because the article says the links were derived from http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links Although the .wim links work the .exe ones don't.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Try this site.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-burn-downloaded-windows-vista-to-dvd/

#15 Jeani72

Jeani72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

You will need to burn the ISO image to a DVD.  If you post the operating system you will be using to do this I will provide you with instructions for burning the disc.

You can find a good tutorial here at Bleeping Computer.

I was able to get the 3 files from the first link.  The second link was 3 separate .exe files and no .wim files.

I will be using my W7 to create the ISO disc.

Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users