Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Fedora alongside Win 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hello

I want to install fedora in my computer.

I have previously installed and used ubuntu.

I installed ubuntu in the same drive as my windows(C:).

I would like to know the pros and cons of installing two OSs in the same drive.

If I don't want to install fedora in C:, in which drive should I install it?

Thanks

Edited by comet@earth, 01 May 2014 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hi

If i am not mistaken, "Fedora" can't be installed to C: without formatting the drive. "Ubuntu" does this by creating a virtual drive inside "C:" and installing Linux to it. In my knowledge that feature is not available with "Fedora".

I would recommend shrinking the "C" drive and create a new partition exclusively for "Fedora".

How to shrink "C" drive and create unallocated space : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2672-partition-volume-shrink.html

How to install Fedora :

Editing partitions is a risky process. Make sure to backup all the data to an external medium as an insurance.

#3 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

If I am correct all OSs boot from the primary partition. 

I am not able to upload a snapshot of the disk management screen. 

I have another primary partition(F:). Will I be able to boot fedora from that partition?

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Will I be able to boot fedora from that partition?

If I'm understanding Anshad right, you cannot unless you format a specific partition only for Fedora. You can use another LiveCD like Gparted to shrink one of your primary partitions instead of formatting it, allowing you to create another partition just for fedora.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#5 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Even if I partition C: the maximum space that I can allocate is 22 GB. Will that be enough for fedora?

How do I post a screenshot of disk management?

#6 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Even if I partition C: the maximum space that I can allocate is 22 GB. Will that be enough for fedora?

How do I post a screenshot of disk management?

What do you plan to do with it? Fedora's install size is less than 3GB, so with 2GB swap space you should have 17GB left. Will that be enough for what you plan to do?

Edit: Remember you still need space on your primary OS.  You don't want to take all the storage for it. Try defragging it if it's windows, that should allow you to get a better sense of how much data you can allocate.

Edited by Felipe2237, 02 May 2014 - 07:08 PM.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#7 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

I plan to use it for programming, shell scripting, etc. Basically wok and learn on/about linux.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Have a nice day :)

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

Hey there comet@earth - just wanted to let you know that I've recently tried this as well.

I would strongly suggest starting with anything Anshad recommends because of his skill set but did want to let you know about the guide that I followed and the details of such, which can be found here.

I've been (and am using right now) Fedora 19 along side my Windows 7 machine - both are 64 bit.

Once I figured out a couple of simple tweaks that needed to happen I wound up using Fedora for about a week straight before I logged back into Win 7, it was (and is) that easy.

Here is the initial guide that I started with and here is the first set of instructions I followed.

Please note where the author of the article mentions, "Use the free GParted Live CD only if you must." I did not use it and I did back up all my docs, pics, music, etc before starting the process.   << Pretty darn important as well as *making your recovery discs* from your Windows side in the event that it all goes sideways.

As I made mention in my original linked post, there are quite a few steps (at least it seemed that way for a noob like me) but I just plodded along slowly and now have been running both Operating Systems without any issues, logging in and out with access to both.

Hope the linked info helps and please let us know if/when you decide to move forward with it, inquiring minds always want to know.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users