Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg And Vet Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:47 AM

A friend of mine was told by her technician that AVG was not very good at picking up viruses. She was recommended to use Vet.

What do other people think? I have heard that AVG is good.

What free and paid-for Anti-Virus software do other people recommend? I realise that this is very much a question of personal opinion but I would like some advice please

TIA

Alan
There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Today is the Beta version of Tomorrow!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:51 AM

I'd have to go for AGV. I've used it for many years and I've found it easy-to-use, reliable, and most importantly, effective at picking up viruses. Although I'm sure others will disagree with me.. :thumbsup:
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:09 AM

I'd also have to go with AVG, but as you said, it's really a personal choice.
There's several good ones out there, and many of them are freeware.
You can find a list of the free ones we recommend here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Try out a couple, and see which one suits your needs.
Remember to only run one antivirus, at a time.

Edited by tg1911, 22 May 2006 - 02:12 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:22 AM

I have had AVG free edition on my computer since March 2003, replacing MacAfee, and I have not had a virus on my computer since the change. I run 4 computers daily and am on the internet 3 to 6 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week. There are several other freeware AV programs at the link tg911 has suggested.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 TheGrayNobleman

TheGrayNobleman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

AVG is an excellent program in my opinion although I personally use Avira anti-virus. Check out these sites for anti-virus testing (and to see AVG making 2nd place for most of the tests).

http://www.anti-malware-test.com/
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
http://www.virusbtn.com/Session-ae5762d369...2008/03_13a.xml

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users