Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Custom Computer- Won't display anything on monitor. Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KARABATSOS

KARABATSOS

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hey guys-

I just put together a new computer the other day and my first major problem has popped up: it will not display anything on my monitor. Here is what I know so far...

1) The video card works- I know this for sure because I placed it into my current computer and it had no problems what-so-ever.

2) The fans inside the computer are running, there are lights on the motherboard, and the CPU fan is running.

3) I have reset the CMOS, reseated every part and all the power cords (CPU chip, CPU fan, VGA card, RAM, all extra fans, both hard drives, DVD drive, even the little LED case connectors).
4) When I first put everything together and turned it on for the first time the power cycled. It would start and run for about 2-3 seconds and then shut off for 2-3 seconds, then turn on and off again. I figured this was a power supply problem but upon consulting my motherboard manual I saw there were two small switches for the BIOS- one for switching between the Main and Backup BIOS and another that triggers either single or double BIOS. I made sure the switches indicated Single and Main. After I did this the power cycling stopped.

5) This is where the problem started- I plugged in my monitor, which I know for sure works, as I am currently using it, and the light on the monitor continued to blink. No display.

6) I tried fiddling with the hard drives- one is a 1TB HDD and the other is a 240GB SSD. First I tried them both, then just one, then the other, and lastly no hard drives at all.

7) I have tried both, one, and no RAM sticks in the motherboard. As well as tried them both in different configurations in their respective slots. I settled on a configuration best suited for the system according to the motherboard manual.

8) I have tried to use any and all display slots on both the VGA and the motherboard (both DVI and HDMI).

9) I even tried a different power cord!

10) AND even put a disk in the drive and started it up to see what would happen.

11) Oh yeah, I tried a total of three VGA card in the new computer, including the newest card. All three work in my current computer, none of them showed any display in the new computer.

This is not the first time I have built a computer, however, this is the first time I have encountered this sort of problem. Unfortunately, much of the information I have found online thus far has either been contradictory, hasn't worked, or has just been plain depressing...as I am quite sure that my parts are not all broken, as some have seemed to suggest. My only thought at this point is that I have made a silly mistake somewhere and can't figure it out or I have a busted motherboard. If such is the case I would like to get a move on it and return the board if I can.

Parts

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W De

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-z87x-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel z87 HDMI SATA

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2x8GB) 240-pin DDR3

VGA: GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit

PSU: CORSAIR RM Series RM850 850W ATX12V v2.31

Extra Case Fans: CORSAIR Air Series AF120 Performance Edition CO-90

SSD: Intel 335 Series Jay Crest SSDSC2CT240A4K5 2.5" 24

HDD: Western Digital 1TB (it was at one time part of an external drive, that has since changed. I have used it recently so I know it does in fact work)

ANY and all help is welcomed as I am very stuck and very frustrated...and antsy, I want to use this thing!

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Premo Setup feel bad for you issue, You seemed to have covered all the bases, contact Gigabyte IMO something with the board is not right.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 RiveraHRFrancsico

RiveraHRFrancsico

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:38 AM

sounds like you might have a faulty PCi slot in the Giga Byte MB.. because you've covered everything i wouldve done 

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

Hi, have you tried with a different power supply? But i'm with Phil on this, the motherboard seems like the culprit here but i would verify the power supply works first before RMAing the motherboard. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Is it possible that the motherboard is defaulting video to the HDMI?

#6 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I couldn't tell from your initial post, have you tried running the computer using onboard graphics, with no video card installed?  If your RAM or hard drives were bad you would still get a POST screen at boot, albeit with an error message or blue screen. 

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

When I hit a wall like this I pull everything off the board!  Then I start with the bare essentials adding one thing at a time until the culprit reveals itself.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Xabier

Xabier

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

I agree with Phil's first post.  Seems the fast way would be to contact Gigabyte Customer Service.  I had a somewhat similar problem and called them.  Ended up with a different brand (Crucial) RAM and was off and running.  The number I called was: 626 854 9338

Edited by Xabier, 05 May 2014 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users