I just put together a new computer the other day and my first major problem has popped up: it will not display anything on my monitor. Here is what I know so far...
1) The video card works- I know this for sure because I placed it into my current computer and it had no problems what-so-ever.
2) The fans inside the computer are running, there are lights on the motherboard, and the CPU fan is running.
3) I have reset the CMOS, reseated every part and all the power cords (CPU chip, CPU fan, VGA card, RAM, all extra fans, both hard drives, DVD drive, even the little LED case connectors).
4) When I first put everything together and turned it on for the first time the power cycled. It would start and run for about 2-3 seconds and then shut off for 2-3 seconds, then turn on and off again. I figured this was a power supply problem but upon consulting my motherboard manual I saw there were two small switches for the BIOS- one for switching between the Main and Backup BIOS and another that triggers either single or double BIOS. I made sure the switches indicated Single and Main. After I did this the power cycling stopped.
5) This is where the problem started- I plugged in my monitor, which I know for sure works, as I am currently using it, and the light on the monitor continued to blink. No display.
6) I tried fiddling with the hard drives- one is a 1TB HDD and the other is a 240GB SSD. First I tried them both, then just one, then the other, and lastly no hard drives at all.
7) I have tried both, one, and no RAM sticks in the motherboard. As well as tried them both in different configurations in their respective slots. I settled on a configuration best suited for the system according to the motherboard manual.
8) I have tried to use any and all display slots on both the VGA and the motherboard (both DVI and HDMI).
9) I even tried a different power cord!
10) AND even put a disk in the drive and started it up to see what would happen.
11) Oh yeah, I tried a total of three VGA card in the new computer, including the newest card. All three work in my current computer, none of them showed any display in the new computer.
This is not the first time I have built a computer, however, this is the first time I have encountered this sort of problem. Unfortunately, much of the information I have found online thus far has either been contradictory, hasn't worked, or has just been plain depressing...as I am quite sure that my parts are not all broken, as some have seemed to suggest. My only thought at this point is that I have made a silly mistake somewhere and can't figure it out or I have a busted motherboard. If such is the case I would like to get a move on it and return the board if I can.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W De
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-z87x-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel z87 HDMI SATA
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2x8GB) 240-pin DDR3
VGA: GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit
PSU: CORSAIR RM Series RM850 850W ATX12V v2.31
Extra Case Fans: CORSAIR Air Series AF120 Performance Edition CO-90
SSD: Intel 335 Series Jay Crest SSDSC2CT240A4K5 2.5" 24
HDD: Western Digital 1TB (it was at one time part of an external drive, that has since changed. I have used it recently so I know it does in fact work)
ANY and all help is welcomed as I am very stuck and very frustrated...and antsy, I want to use this thing!