Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delay When Accessing Shared Resource 2003 R2 File Server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 P-Dizzle

P-Dizzle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with several users that access shared folders on a Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 file server. Occasionally when users attempt to access any files on this server, explorer will hang for about 1-2 minutes before allowing the user to open the file, this will sometimes happen if the user simply highlights the file to view details such file size, last modified date, and such on the status bar of explorer.

I reviewed the event viewer logs on the workstations that experience this issue and did not find any relevant information. On the server side I noticed an event that takes place  when the hang occurs under the security logs (below). These entries occurred at the exact same time the user reported the hang.

Just to give you some background on the infrastructure, here we go. It's a gigabit network all the way from the server to the workstations with not much congestion at all.

The server:

2 x vCPU's @ 2.27 GHz

6 GB RAM

1 TB Hard Drive RAID 5

1 Gbit Ethernet

One of the workstations I have been primary working with:

3.3 GHz i5 Quad Core

8 GB RAM

500 GB Hard Drive

Windows 8 Pro

1 Gbit ethernet

Let me know if you guys have any tips or need more info. I appreciate it!

===========

User Logoff:
  User Name: User
  Domain: Domain
  Logon ID: (0x0,0x50D0D95E)
  Logon Type: 3
=========== 
and 
===========
Successful Network Logon:
  User Name: user
  Domain: domain
  Logon ID: (0x0,0x50D0D95E)
  Logon Type: 3
  Logon Process: Kerberos
  Authentication Package: Kerberos
  Workstation Name:
  Logon GUID: {4f03b928-9bea-2807-d820-39d28b1cb278}
  Caller User Name: -
  Caller Domain: -
  Caller Logon ID: -
  Caller Process ID: -
  Transited Services: -
  Source Network Address: 192.168.1.10
  Source Port: 0
===========

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maddashell

maddashell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Have there been any changes in AD? Try deleting the share and create a new one on that folder. I still run 2003 at several of my accounts and usually its a DNS problem if I find things slowing down or sudden quirks. Each work station DNS setting should have the server IP first then ISP or google DNS.

#3 maddashell

maddashell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Windows 8 Pro - So you are coming from a primarily XP shop and now going to W8? 

A few things you need to check and edit: 1) Check that you have joined the domain and that your active connection is Domain 2) Edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file

You need to enter IP address <TAB> \\servername

Since this is a read only file, save the file on you desktop with no extension as it is then copy it to the directory to replace.

Its a Server 2003 / XP thang where the newer OS has some backward compatibility speed troubles. I also use the old Hosts file when I have a remote VPN connection so that I can map a drive if I want since it is translated to URL e.g net use S:  \\server\share  

#4 yug

yug

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

- What's the response time like if you try to connect to a server share manually ( Run > \\Servername\...)

- Tracert to the server from a workstation, looking as expected?

- Try disabling IPv6 on one of the workstations as a test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users