Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with my custom build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jbitensky2

jbitensky2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Looking to build a computer to watch Blu Rays and game some

Are all these pieces compatible/is anything holding me back?

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-3770 3.4GHz 8MB 65W LGA1155 CPU 

GIGABYTE GA-H77N-WIFI LGA1155/ Intel H77/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&V&2GbE/

EVGA - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

G.SKILL Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory F3-1600C9D-8GAB

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PL

Seagate Solid State Hybrid 1TB 2.5" SATA Laptop Hard Drive

LG UH12NS29 12X SATA Blu-Ray BD-ROM DVDRW Combo Drive w/ 3D Playback M-DISC NEW

IN WIN GT1 White SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Samsung S27C450D 27 inch Widescreen LED LCD Monitor Adjustable Display

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbitensky2

jbitensky2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Pretend that doesn't say laptop hard drive, 2.5" 1 TB desktop hard drive

#3 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

The motherboard and the case are not compatible: The motherboard is a Mini ITX and the case is an ATX. The form factors won't agree. Everything else will be fine. If you want to try this build, you would need to find a different case.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

A few questions...

Will this be a PC under your television, like a media center, or will it be under a desk?  What games do you play and at what level do you want their visual quality to be?  What is your budget?

3939.png

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

For Blurays you will most likely need to purchase a software package or two.  I use SlySoft's AnyDVD HD and Cyberlink's PowerDVD.  The AnyDVD HD is used to copy the disks to my machine and PowerDVD to play.  While PowerDVD plays the disks a lot of their features do not work for people with large DVD/Bluray collections, which is where I fall.  AnyDVD HD gets around any HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) issues.  If any component in your system is not HDCP compliant it can prevent you from watching a Bluray movie either partially (lower definition) or completely.

#6 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

I have used PowerDVD a lot in the past, mostly because it came bundled with an optical drive.  When I moved to Win8 I splurged and purchased Arcsoft's Totalmedia Theater (I think I'm on v.6).  I've got a pretty big collection of DVDs and BDs myself and, so far, I haven't had any problems with the features.  This is on my media center PC under the TV, which is fairly new and fully HDCP compliant (Core i3 3220 on a Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB 3H, using onboard HDMI graphics).

By the way, that board will work with the OP's build since his case accommodates both ATX and microATX boards.

Edited by compnovo, 02 May 2014 - 11:24 AM.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users