Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

server project questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 satadayluv

satadayluv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

I have a mock project where i have to build a server room to network 50 upgraded computers and create a wifi network for the faculty and staff im a newbie and wondercan i get some insight on how much would this cost and what equipment i need it would be tons of help Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm guessing that this is for a class.  First and foremost pay attention in class and read the provided materials.  There is a large difference between the class room and real life.  Answers provided by those of us with real life experience may not be the answer that your instructor is looking to receive.

I have no idea what you mean by upgraded computer.

This could all be done in a closet, depending on the size of the site.

Assuming no outside network connectivity you will need at least two switches, three if you want room for expansion and/or some kind of ability to keep the network up in case of a switch failure.  I'd go with three 24 port switches rather than two 48 port or one 48 and one 24.  Do you need power over ethernet (PoE)?  This is assuming that all network locations will be within 328 feet of this room, and the closer you get to 328 feet the more you will want a second wiring closet.

You need one server, possibly two if you want redundancy or your applications are server intensive.

You need a UPS, again you can go one for the server and one for the switches or a larger unit that covers the whole set up.  Again this is where you need to decide on how much redundancy you want.

You need a rack to put all of this stuff.

You need your wifi access points the number will depend on the area you need to cover and its construction.

You will need cooling

You will need some sort of back up.

To do this at home you could probably spend $5,000 to $10,000.  For work I'd estimate $25,000 to $50,000, not counting network runs to the 50 machines.  Last I had network runs done it was $200 a run, so that is $10,000 by itself.  I do not recommend running network cable yourself unless you have experience running it to building specifications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users