Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Blue Screen and would love some help.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the advice.

First, @Donetao, your two cents is appreciated. I checked the reliability monitor and followed the directions in the tom's hardware link, and unfortunately I didn't win the BSOD lottery. :) It said that it needed to connect to Microsoft to get extra details about my computer, and when it tried to do that it couldn't connect. Simply came up with "try again later" which I will...

Right when I started getting these BSOD's my first thought was memtest86. I ran that program (a while ago now) but it returned everything clean. I also ran hard drive diagnostics, and they came back clean too. I recently bought a new PSU and video card...so I doubt the PSU is going bad. I'm only pushing it to about 50% it's rated capacity. I did have a hot CPU for a while, but also recently got a much better CPU fan and heat sink, and now I'm down to a very consistent 41 degrees C. Whether playing games or not... With that said, I believe these BSOD's were happening before I had the video card and PSU, but I gotta admit, I wasn't really looking into the problem back then, so I don't know if the BSOD errors were the same ones I'm getting now or not.

I guess a frustrating thing is how randomly these BSOD's are occuring. It hasn't happened yet again today, so sadly I have nothing really to report.

@dc3, thanks for the suggestions. I'll certainly go through those processes if I get another BSOD here. I'll let the computer run first for a while though to see if it happens once more though. Again, I'm leaving for a few weeks, so I'll report back when I get back home. It is a desktop computer so no worries about disabling the keyboard or touchpad. :)

With that said, dc3, I think this completely unrelated as this issue JUST started occuring but I should divulge all information in case it is related. This has to do with services. I was trying to make my computer boot a bit faster than the 4 minutes 30 seconds it takes to boot now, so I was playing with msconfig. I disabled a lot of services on startup (and to be clear I was getting BSOD's before this). But now when I boot into normal mode I am greeted with an error saying windows couldn't connect to a service. This error is in the form of a balloon that pops up in the taskbar. It doesn't seem to affect the computer at all, but thought I should tell you about it. I really haven't started looking into that error yet as all my energy has been focusing on the BSOD error lately...

Thanks again all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hello trevzilla! I'm the first to admit that the reliability monitor is not a miracle tool. It is merely a tool that shows a graft of activities going on with your computer. Minidumps are much better to determine crashes. I think it can be used with the minidumps to help you solve a issue. If you monitor it regularly, I believe it can be a great help. To me it is a lot easier to use than the event viewer, and basically it is the same thing.

I'm sure you will get your issue solved soon. I think I would enable the services again to see if the last issue clears up.

PS I prefer WhoCrashed! You will need to scroll down and click on the WhoCrashed 5.01 for a safe down load. There are a lot of other programs there. I only have the WhoCrashed 5.01. I don't know any thing about the other programs.

Have a safe trip! Check this out from WhoCrashed.  http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_troubleshooting

PS A clean boot is a excellent way to solve these kind of issues. I'll be following this thread. I think we here at BC forum can work together to work these things out. :smilers:

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Edited by donetao, 18 May 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#18 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Well, I'm finally back from my job, and ready to tackle this Blue Screen issue again! 

So in the past couple days, I got the Blue Screen multiple times...These times the errors reported were as follows:

Special_Pool_Detected_Memory_Corruption

and

The IO manager has detected a violation by a driver that is being verified. The faulty driver that is being verified must be debugged and replaced with a working version.

I just ran "WhoCrashed" and I think it gave me a very useful report which is as follows...

System Information (local)
computer name: TREVORSDESKTOP
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N-D
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 7514677248 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1935454208

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 6/22/2014 1:59:52 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062214-126033-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFF9803529EFA0, 0xFFFFF9803529E04B, 0x534068, 0x32)
Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 6/21/2014 1:15:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062114-118342-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: pbfilter.sys (pbfilter+0x2A30)
Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x7, 0xFFFFF8800B7CEA30, 0xFFFFF98024F3CEE0, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: pbfilter.sys .
Google query: pbfilter.sys DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION

On Sat 6/21/2014 12:44:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062014-113272-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFF980319D8BE0, 0xFFFFF980319D81EB, 0xCBC428, 0x32)
Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 6/12/2014 6:46:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062014-113365-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x4211)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF88004FEC658, 0xFFFFF88004FEBEB0, 0xFFFFF88001223DBF)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 5/31/2014 4:03:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060214-115783-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xE3 (0xFFFFFA80092B4CC0, 0xFFFFFA80073F4420, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread tried to release a resource it did not own.

On Mon 5/26/2014 11:22:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\053014-123942-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8000234934E, 0xFFFFF8800C782720, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Sun 5/25/2014 2:30:01 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052414-108701-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xD7, 0xFFFFFA8007F3D570, 0xFFFFF9801F196F40, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
A Remove Lock cannot be re-initialized, even after it calls IoReleaseRemoveLockAndWait, because other threads might still be using that lock (by calling IoAcquireRemoveLock). This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 5/24/2014 9:06:48 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052414-123989-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFF9803484EF30, 0xFFFFF9803484E914, 0x3140D0, 0x32)

On Sun 5/18/2014 12:49:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051814-89045-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
The driver requested a zero-byte pool allocation. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sun 5/18/2014 12:27:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051714-86081-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
The driver requested a zero-byte pool allocation. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Conclusion
19 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

pbfilter.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. 

So, looking at the conclusion, I have uninstalled PeerBlock from my computer. (Didn't really like that program anyway!) And I've run a registry cleaner. Let's see if that solves anything!

#19 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

Running registry cleaners/optimizers...is 10 steps back, IMO.  BC does not support the use of such programs.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Louis

#20 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#21 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

O.K. Guess I shouldn't have run that registry cleaner...On the bright side, it did create a registry backup, and other sites do highly recommend it...but I understand.

With that said, I'm going on 2 days without a blue screen! Things are looking up! I'm not considering this 'solved' yet, but it's looking better and better with each passing minute!

#22 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#23 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

So, my blue screen still isn't fixed. I've gotten about 1 a day for the past few days with differing results from "WhoCrashed." Each time who crashed tells me a driver is being faulty, I simply uninstall that particular driver/software. So far I've uninstalled my Wacom Tablet, my PS3 Controller drivers, and PeerBlock.

Today, I just got another blue screen and it says ntoskrnl.exe is the problem...Some older dmp files have pointed to this being the problem too. So, with that said, any suggestions of what to do?

Following is my latest whocrashed report...

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: TREVORSDESKTOP
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N-D
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 7514677248 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1945362432

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 7/1/2014 2:02:31 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\063014-89029-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xD7, 0xFFFFFA800826B4E0, 0xFFFFF9802F4B6F40, 0x0)
A Remove Lock cannot be re-initialized, even after it calls IoReleaseRemoveLockAndWait, because other threads might still be using that lock (by calling IoAcquireRemoveLock). This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 

On Fri 6/27/2014 10:02:55 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062714-91494-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xD7, 0xFFFFFA8007241130, 0xFFFFF9802FA06F40, 0x0)

On Fri 6/27/2014 5:49:21 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062714-69248-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mijxfilt.sys (MijXfilt+0x1B638) 
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8800B463638, 0x2, 0x8, 0xFFFFF8800B463638)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mijxfilt.sys
product: MotioninJoy DS3 driver
company: MotioninJoy
description: MotioninJoy DS3 driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mijxfilt.sys (MotioninJoy DS3 driver, MotioninJoy). 
Google query: MotioninJoy DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Sun 6/22/2014 1:59:52 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062214-126033-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFF9803529EFA0, 0xFFFFF9803529E04B, 0x534068, 0x32)

On Sat 6/21/2014 1:15:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062114-118342-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: pbfilter.sys (pbfilter+0x2A30) 
Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x7, 0xFFFFF8800B7CEA30, 0xFFFFF98024F3CEE0, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 
Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: pbfilter.sys . 
Google query: pbfilter.sys DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 

On Sat 6/21/2014 12:44:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062014-113272-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFF980319D8BE0, 0xFFFFF980319D81EB, 0xCBC428, 0x32)

On Thu 6/12/2014 6:46:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062014-113365-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x4211) 
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF88004FEC658, 0xFFFFF88004FEBEB0, 0xFFFFF88001223DBF)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sat 5/31/2014 4:03:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060214-115783-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xE3 (0xFFFFFA80092B4CC0, 0xFFFFFA80073F4420, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread tried to release a resource it did not own.

On Mon 5/26/2014 11:22:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\053014-123942-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8000234934E, 0xFFFFF8800C782720, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. 

On Sun 5/25/2014 2:30:01 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052414-108701-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xD7, 0xFFFFFA8007F3D570, 0xFFFFF9801F196F40, 0x0)

Conclusion

22 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers: 

mijxfilt.sys (MotioninJoy DS3 driver, MotioninJoy)
pbfilter.sys 

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information. 

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. 

To be clear, the conclusion states that pbfilter.sys and mjxfilt.sys are causing problems, but I have uninstalled both of those now...(Motion in Joy is the PS3 controller, while pbfilter.sys had to do with peerblock)

Any suggestions of the next step?

Thanks so much!

#24 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Let's address the file structure befor ewe start looking at the leftovers now...

Please run Chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt.

TsVk!

#25 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

So, I just tried running Chkdsk /f /r. It said it would run it on the next boot. So I rebooted the computer, and now, nothing...

The computer simply posts, then goes to a black screen, and sits there.

There are a few random pixels lighting up on the top of the screen. And changing around every now and then, but still nothing. No windows logo or anything. I've left it sitting on that black screen for over an hour and nothing happens.

What now?

#26 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Running chkdsk /f /r is redundant.  Chkdks /r has the same functionality as the /f switch, but chkdsk /r also checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

#27 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

Well, I got fed up...I just re-installed my OS. Upgraded to Windows 8.1 actually...

Let's see if that fixes it! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users