Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Blue Screen and would love some help.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

So, I've been getting a completely random blue screen lately, and I don't know where to start pinpointing the problem.

The blue screen happens pretty randomly. I can be on my computer for days without it happening...or I can be on it for only a matter of hours.

9 times out of 10, the blue screen says "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" but just today I got a "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. It's the first time that I recall seeing this error.

All my googling implies that I have a bad driver, and that I should essentially update my drivers. Now, this is maybe where I'm becoming lazy, and asking for suggestions. I feel like I have so many drivers, it would suck to update them all. So is there any way to pinpoint which driver might be causing the issue? Maybe a system log somewhere?

If not, is there an easy way to update all drivers? And would I have to uninstall old drivers first?

I think that's all I have to ask for now. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

First thing to check is you're not using 2 anti-virus applications?

then, if not....

Please attach your last 3 minidump files to your reply. (files are located in C:\Windows\Minidump)

TsVk!

Edited by TsVk!, 01 May 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#3 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I don't have two anti virus programs running. So I just tried attaching my minidump files and if it isn't one thing it's another...I can't attach .dmp files, so I tried using 7-zip to zip them and attach that, but I can't attach .7z files, so I tried renaming them to .txt files so you could just rename them back, but then the files are too large to attach...

So going a little off topic, what's the best way to attach minidump files? Thanks!

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

normally they attach just fine... I don't know your issue.

Just upload them in a zipped file at www.fileover.net and share the link please.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 May 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#5 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Cool, that worked. Here are the links to my minidump files. (There were only 2 files located in the minidump directory...)

http://fileover.net/98927281/

http://fileover.net/87463819/

#6 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Well, it just happened to me again. Here is the newest minidump file...

http://fileover.net/81500079/

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'm sad to advise to use Driver Verifier by Microsoft. The application is dodgy at best, so backup your essential data beforehand.

#8 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

Alright, I'll check that out. Thanks, and I'll report back with what I find. Thanks again for your help!

#9 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

O.K. So I finally got around to making a current backup, and it looks like I'm glad I did!

I attempted rebooting the computer like verifier.exe said I had to, and when the login screen appeared I tried to move the mouse. (A Wacom tablet and puck) The pointer simply jumped to the upper left side of the screen and I could not move it out of that location. It looked like it would try to move but would continue getting sent to that corner.

After about 5 seconds of this happening, I got another blue screen. This time it says "A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernal stock must be replaced with a working version." This happened to me 3 times in a row.

I haven't tried booting into safe mode yet, and I'll wait on your reply, but I am kind of thinking it maybe is the Wacom drivers that is causing the issues. Any thoughts?

On another note, inbetween my last post and before I got the backup finished, I was greeted with a different blue screen a couple times. Those times the error was "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". So in summary I've seen the following over the last few months...

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

and the latest, "A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught...."

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hi,

I'm pleased you backed up your data too... Go ahead and run verifier in safe mode.

PS: do you have a USB mouse you can use? to eliminate the possibility of the tablet (though I suspect it may be the chipset driver causing this issue)

#11 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

So I've successfully booted into safe mode multiple times, with what seems to be no errors. I haven't spent A TON of time in safe mode, so I don't know if a blue screen would randomly appear.

I found myself a wireless usb mouse. I couldn't find a simple wired one...so if you think that could still be an issue, I'll try to track one down from a friend or something. the wireless mouse seems to be working fine.

Inside safe mode, I uninstalled the Wacom programs, and I checked Device Manager for the Wacom drivers and uninstalled those.

Now, when I boot into Windows it boots completely, but then shortly after the "windows jingle" sounds, I get the same blue screen. "A device driver attempting to corrupt the system..."

I've tried running verifier.exe but I can't say I know exactly what I am doing with that program. In the link you sent, it says just run verifier.exe and reboot the computer. Well, when I do that into either safe mode or Normal mode I don't get any reports or anything to go off of. Also, there are several options in verifier and I'm not sure if I should be clicking certain options first before rebooting...

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:59 AM

Sorry, I didn't think to link instructions...

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/65331-using-driver-verifier-identify-issues-drivers.html

Edited by TsVk!, 18 May 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#13 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

Cool. Following those instructions, I've gotten Windows booting up in Normal mode again. The Wacom tablet stuff is still uninstalled, and so far the computer has been behaving. However, it's only been about 6 hours, and I haven't really put it through its paces yet. So it's anybodies guess when/if it'll crash again.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving for work for about 5 weeks, so I guess I'm going to have to put this on hold for a bit of time...unless I get it to crash in the next few hours in which case I'll be in touch!

Thanks again for all the help! Hopefully we can get this pegged!

In the mean time, I ran a "windows based memory checker" and windows stayed stable. Maybe you have some suggestions of a program or something that I could run that just accesses drivers, or somehow "puts the computer to work." The blue screen seemed to happen always during some type of mouse click I guess. Whenever I would switch tabs on a broswer, or click in a video game, or switch applications that were running. (I just put that together now...so Maybe/hopefully it was the Wacom tablet!)

#14 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hello! Would like to add my 2 cents, which is about all it's worth. I like this program(WhoCrashed). I also like the Reliability Monitor for clues. A clean boot can often eliminate conflicts. Memory is  a big cause of BSOD. Windows has a on board feature you can use and also Memtest86+

Most HD manufactures have free software programs to test your HD. I have a HotCpu test for mother boards. The first thing is to make sure you are free of any malware, and that your computer is not over heating. IMHO if your not BSOD in safe mode or clean boot mode, there's a good chance yousoft ware problems. Hard ware problems can be hard to pin down, but it can be done. When all else fails, save your data and restore to factory as a last resort. You can also always have a power supply getting weak.

These are my thoughts on BSOD!

Hummer me and check your Reliability Monitor. It won't hurt. I promise.

http://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reliability-monitor-is-the-best-windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch.

Edited by donetao, 18 May 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

If the computer runs normally in Safe Mode you should run a Clean Boot to see if it is a service or a startup item which is causing this.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

When you are finished using the Clean Boot go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on [b]OK, then restart your computer.

Edited by dc3, 18 May 2014 - 05:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users