Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Life Preserver for IE in XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/emergency-patch-for-critical-ie-0day-throws-lifeline-to-xp-laggards-too/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

MS are so nice. :inlove:

Edited by TsVk!, 01 May 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

This will just make some people think that they can continue to use XP and M$ will come to the rescue again.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

After reading the article, I felt it was the right thing to do, as it affected all IE versions.

This goes to show that MS has made bad decisions, too lazy to rewrite their latest OS's, so that any legacy code that's shared with XP is gone. .NET Framework 4.5 should be the bar for any newly released software, it's going to take more than warnings from MS (which has failed) to get the last diehards to give XP up. The entire software community can gang up & usershare will drop like a hot coal.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

Frankly...after I saw a critical update available at the site...while on my XP system...I thought that's an indicator that MS realizes that it may have to extend the support life of XP, after making such a big deal about end of support.

But...MS does some strange things (the outstanding example is the Win 7 download fiasco), so I would not plan on anything concrete from them now or in the future.  They seem to have been "flying by the seats of their pants" for the last few years now and that seems to be the future, as well.

Louis

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

The one concrete thing about MS is that they can adjust on the fly.

This really comes as no surprise, the extra support extended. Even it if was only up to IE8, Windows 7 shipped with that browser & Vista shipped with IE7. MS got themselves in this mess by extending the life of XP just because Vista was bad, but will they learn from it? XP support should have ended as originally scheduled, all OS's when released also has a termination (end of support) date. Will Windows 7's support be extended due to 8 being a flop also, or will MS finally learn to eat their mistakes & plow forward?

This mess is all of MS's making, XP is one of the rare exceptions where usage share peaked (in 2007) well after it's successor was released. Mainly because MS backed down & allowed downgrading to an equivalent OS, just over a few bugs that was ironed over in time. The same deal that's going on with the Windows 8 project today, only the bugs are getting dealt with faster, not to mean they're fixed, but are more actively pursued. LIkely because MS doesn't want to repeat with Windows 7 what they were pushed into with XP, giving the OS three extra years lifespan.

Those 3 extra years is what has placed us where we are, Because of that one extension, many never took MS seriously & why should they? We know that this week's release will only lead to more & more life preservers being thrown out there, with up to 25% of it's userbase on the OS, there's no avoidance of it.

Only MS could do this, Apple would have told those users to jump off a bridge (to put it nicely) years ago.

All it would take is for MS to rewrite their next OS from total scratch. No more backporting of 15+ year old code, for the sake of compatibility.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

Vista was bad

It was not. I had vista on a laptop, After upping the ram it ran fine.  The main problem with vista was that it was sold on Laptop's  that were never meant to run it.

I just took win8 for a drive on a friends PC cant see what all the fuss is about, I even like the Metro thing. Reminds me of Dash on Ubuntu.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 May 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Vista was bad

It was not. I had vista on a laptop, After upping the ram it ran fine.  The main problem with vista was that it was sold on Laptop's  that were never meant to run it.

I just took win8 for a drive on a friends PC cant see what all the fuss is about, I even like the Metro thing. Reminds me of Dash on Ubuntu.

That was more of an issue with Vista than anything, hardware wasn't fully ready for it. P4's and early Athlon's were still widely in use & many still were running DDR, rather than DDR2 RAM. There were no public betas for testing, so Vista caught many by surprise.

Though OEM's did have the upper hand of getting the release early & should have done a better job of making the needed adjustments. It takes as much as, if not a more powerful computer, to run Vista than Windows 7, which has much improved power management. So Vista's failure can be attributed to the OEM's as much as MS for not producing proper platforms for the OS to run on.

I have one Vista install, on a machine that also has Windows 7, both OS's runs good on it, though Vista does uses much more RAM & CPU when multitasking.

As for the Life Preserver for XP, these folks better enjoy it, because soon MS will have to put their feet down & take more drastic action to get XP machines off the Web. Otherwise, they're going to be seen as the laughing stock of software corporations. When Apple drops the hammer on an OS, it's cast into stone. Steve Jobs even once forced retirement of a perfectly working OS to force Apple's users to upgrade (whether or not they liked it), it was unpopular at the time, but as usual Apple customers does, they accepted the decision & moved on to better things.

MS is the only corporation whom releases OS's, then supports them for a minimum of 10 years afterwards. That needs to be reduced by half at a minimum, 2.5 years premium support, 2.5 years extended. The fact is, in today's compuing enviornment, 10 years is a lifetime in software years. By the end of that time, new hardware doesn't support the old, neither does some software & games.

13 years of support for an OS that should have been ditched in 2011 is just a bit too much to expect. But again, this is MS's fault for being too trigger happy over Vista. The release of Windows 7 more than made amends for any shortcomings of Vista customers & should have been considered as the final solution to the issue, rather than an extension of XP's support.

It's really sad to read some of these follow-up comments to these articles, there's some that thinks that because of the XP Mode app for XP is still available for 7 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise customers, the OS itself (XP) should be supported just as long. Some actually feels that this will happen, critical updates as needed. Wishful thinking, but at the same time, both foolish & dangerous.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 03 May 2014 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users