Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

printer problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tiapoo

tiapoo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hi, I had a virus issue & it seems to have cleared up thanks to a couple of techies here - so, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have Windows 7 64 bit, a Dell desktop, and a HP Laserjet Pro Printer (M1217/nfw MFP).

Now, to continue, as the result of Microsoft trying to fix my computer for the virus', the rep seems to have messed up a few more things. 

The first thing is that the printer doesn't print from my computer.  It prints from the printer itself, but not from the computer.  I'm thoroughly confused about what's what & even more so when I tried to figure it out on the HP website. 

The second thing is that the CD drive doesn't show up on my computer.  When I put a CD into the drive, it doesn't play & the drive doesn't show up on "My Computer".  I have absolutely no idea what to do.

The third thing is software related so I think I'll post that to another of the forums.

Thank you,

Tiapoo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

For the printer problem I'd go to the HP site -> support -> drivers -> type in the model of your printer and download the software.

Close the HP site and install the package. You might want to review what the package is installing before it does. There are usually a few things you don't really need [HP shopping, user experience, etc.]

Depending on the make of the CD it may be necessary to do the same thing at their site.

Threat cleanup can break a few things in order to dig out the problem so it doesn't return.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 tiapoo

tiapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thank you Dicke; I did try the HP site & I got frustrated so I quit, hoping the Microsoft technician will help.  I did, in fact, contact Adobe Acrobat & they no longer  have a download for my version (Adobe Acrobat 9 standard).  So, it sounds as if I will need to get my CD drive back in working order so that I can reinstall both my printer and my Adobe (of which I have a CD).  I'll keep this site posted as to the final outcome.

Thank you,

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Hi,

Did you get to this point?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4075472

this looks like the driver you need

Edited by dicke, 05 May 2014 - 07:06 PM.

Dick E

#5 tiapoo

tiapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

yes, I just did it, downloaded the basic software & nothing happened.  The printer appears on my system & I've changed the USB cable to 3 different USB ports, but it still will not print from my computer....agghhhhh!!!

I'll see what Microsoft has to say tomorrow &let youk now.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,244 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

In Services make sure the Print Spooler is started and set to automatic. Also the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service is started and set to Automatic.

Regarding the CD drive, download and run the Microsoft Fixit.

#7 tiapoo

tiapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:10 AM

Thank you JohnC21 and the rest of you who were helping me,

After a lot of stumbles on my part, I finally contacted the Dell technician who not only fixed my CD driver problem, he fixed my Adobe Acrobat 9 standard problem, and my AOL desktop software problem.  The second Microsoft technician ffinally did a system restore to try & resolve the CD problem but he couldn't do it & suggested I contact Dell.  But, he "did" fix my printer.  So, everything seems to be back in order. 

And it appears that all the adware & malware is gone too.  Hopefully, I don't get those popup sites & video cliips again.

Again, thanks everyone!!!

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Hi,

Glad to hear that all is well

Hope that you will keep your security program and operating system current - good ways to prevent problems

You might also consider an on demand, free scanner for a second opinion on the health of the system

A fully engaged chair / keyboard interface is always a necessary part of your security plan

We'll be here when you need us, til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users