Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"only microsoft engineer can fix your computer" for $$$?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hajduk

Hajduk

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

I have encountered those delightful folks who get call you out of the blue, try to make you think that they are from MicroSoft, and tell you that there are horrible things wrong with your computer (it's been sending out signals, you see) that only a Microsoft Engineer can fix, and they will make it all better and cover you for a year for around $200. Right, sure, and I'm a Surgeon General of the United States Engineer and I will keep your nose out of your ass for a year for $200.

But--I have been using Avast as my antivirus for some time now, and it seems to be effective and user friendly. But now I had occasion to call them, and they ran some diagnostics and told me essentially the same thing as the above-mentioned scam agents. Deep down in my computer, it seems--so deep that it would make no difference if I replaced the hard drive and installed the OS (Windows 7 currently) from a new disk, I think they said even if I replaced the motherboard), there are baddies that only a Microsoft &c &c. And of course they offered to do it for around the same price.

Now I ask myself: Is there really anything that Microsoft Engineer from Avast can do that, say, Bleeping Computer cannot? Is there really a subbasement in the bleeping computer that only God or the mighty MS Engineer can get to? I'm skeptical, and I would much rather have you guys run Hijack This and ComboFix and do whatever is needed, because I know from experience how good you are. What he found was a list of errors dating back a year, to when I got the bleeping thing (refurbished, of course) for a bit less than he wanted to charge me.

Hajduk  

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2014 - 01:33 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

I've never had occasion to contact Avast! support, so I don't know what they do or do not do.  I will say that there is nothing a Microsoft Engineer can do that taking the steps that you stated would not accomplish.  If the problem can't even be resolved by replacing the motherboard then it just isn't getting fixed.  Guess you'll just have to switch to Knoppix

What is the problem that you are having?  I'm from the nuke and reload school of thought.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

A person calling you about your computer is a con.

#4 Hajduk

Hajduk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

techanonymous, yeah. I figured out that the guy calling me about some sort of signal my computer was supposed to be sending was a con. What surprised me was being offered a similar deal by Avast customer care. 

RKilroy, the computer is slow and I get a lot of "not responding" messages. I run checkdisk, Spybot S&D, MBAM, & Superantispyware, as well as the Avast scan, every week or two. I run CCleaner. So I don't know of anything more I can do. And I am suspicious about this "only a MicroSoft engineer" spiel even from what I have always thought was a reputable company. BleepinComputer has been a great help in the past, with other computers and operating systems, and I want to know what they recommend. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users