Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open windows defender!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 curtisfancher1

curtisfancher1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have recently had a problem with my computer where I had to reset IE browser because I couldn't connect to the proxy server. I got that done and now when I try and download FireFox I get the message that the file contains a virus and was deleted. I looked online and many ppl think that I can turn off windows defender and then be able to download. When I open Start menu and search for windows defender I get a file I cannot open. I have also tried going through the control panel with the same results. I have recently purchased and installed RegCure Pro for my computers and ran the scan which fixed 1009 problems with this computer. Any help with getting windows to let me download files would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a screen shot of my control panel where it shows windows defender but the normal wall icon is not there.Attached File  Screen shot of control panel.png   497.31KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2014 - 04:22 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

1) Registry cleaners and fixers cause problem, they don't cure them.

2) It sounds as though you've had several problems with your system. Since you've now used a registry cleaner, it's difficult if not impossible to offer intelligent assistance. However, I can tell you how to disable Windows Defender (which is a complete waste of resources anyway). Go to start - run and type: services.msc (then press ENTER). Find the Windows Defender service and disable it. Reboot.

3) Make certain you have a good anti virus app installed and resident at all times.

#3 curtisfancher1

curtisfancher1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

Allan,

I did what you said do and I do not have a windows defender service. I have looked everywhere for this and have not found it.

The initial problem has been that with IE I cannot download any files bc it says there is a virus in all of them and deletes them. I am so frustrated with this dang thing.

Mod Edit:  Moved to Am I Infected forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

If there is no Windows Defender Service you don't have Windows Defender running.

Are you certain the files are safe? If so, try a different browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, etc) and see what happens.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

How did you do a reset and what about the proxy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users