Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up to ONEDRIVE

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Striker76

Striker76

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

With Microsoft now offering a 1TB storage per paid subscription of Office 365 business, Is there a way to use this as a automatic backup for a SOHO? Is this a good option? EX: one of our clients use 365 with 3 subscriptions and from what I see, this offers 3TB of storage. They average around 180G backups on a nightly to there NAS and then a USB external passport HDD. Looking for a cheep offsite because this is a Not-For-Profit limiting their available funds, this new 3TB they seem to have available would be more then ample for backup. Does anyone have any experience backing up to the OneDrive, and what about security, encryption, ect. Any advice would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

While searching for how to do this I found out that you may not want to do this.

You might want to look at a dedicated cloud backup service such as Carbonite

#3 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

OneDrive offers no security as pointed out by BC Advisor.

I'd recommend Googling "Carbonite restore failure" before making a decision.

There are many good options for cloud backup but your client is on a tight budget so I'll make no recommendtion on a free option.

#4 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Your better off creating your own service. You could do a ubuntu cloud or set up a windows server 2012 system

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#5 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

SamX5 has a great answer!
Ubuntu Cloud at a home location would work great and costs nothing except hardware to run it on.

#6 Striker76

Striker76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

Well, we offer the Carbonite with most of our services, we have a partnership account with Carbonite. This is a particular case because we are not getting paid for the services we are offering. That being said, we don't want to risk their information. We have considered offering them the Carbonite back up, I was just trying to find a cheaper way for them. With windows offering the 1TB for storage, I figured that would be a great chance, but as I read, it is in the open. Not only that, but the business accounts do not offer any automatic backups where the personal accounts do. I have seen some attempted scrips written were some claim to have a successful backup to the One with a business account, but that was for only one file group, and was when the offer was only 25G. I will look into the ubuntu possibility, but I thought you had to have a Linux system to run anything for ubuntu. Also does the ubuntu have to be run on a server.

#7 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

Ubuntu is a Linux operating system that offers numerous configurations such as Apache web server, Cloud server, server, and workstation.

Being Open Source it is offered no charge.

#8 Striker76

Striker76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Ok, See they are using a Windows PC as a server, where we have now moved it to a buffalo t-station. The PC is still part of the system. In order to use the Ubuntu though, I would have to change it to a Linux backbone then right? I haven't had much experience with the Linux systems. Though I am starting to look into learning more. Oh and I don't believe the PC they are using will support a VM. 

#9 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

In my opinion,

the client needs to specify what they want the system to do and how much there budget is. If there data is that important  to them to store a realistic budget and the correct hardware set up is needed first.

Most professional environment that store there data will have either there own servers (with an on site technician to main this system) or the pay a IT support company to rent the hardware, host and maintain.

When they have 180G backups per night, the correct systems should be implemented to protect and store there data. Backing up to a NAS and portable HD, is not how I would want my business data stored or backed up.

For me I would want a minimal of 2 x 2u servers  with RAID cards with a good redundancy. OS would be windows server 2012. This would not be cheap, but the data would be better stored this way. 

The only other way I think you could do this  'cheaply'  is to build a tower server with a RAID card and run windows home server 2011 (If there was less than 10 users needed).

I wouldn't recommend playing with Linux if you only have a small amount of experience with it.

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#10 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Excellant approach SamX5!

The redundent servers would be a great way to protect that much data if they could manage a budget to allow it.

Todays Linux is much easier to master with the right distribution. I would also agree that some experience would be wise or plan on payng for expertise when the need arises. Embedded Linux is everywhere from your settop cable box. cable modem, router, etc. and we all know they just simply work.

#11 Striker76

Striker76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

True and True. I would much rather the server option, however, because of the cost factor, its not possible. Basically I am stuck with there original equipment. We did add the NAS. The USB Drive was already on one of there PCs and being used for backup. We upgraded one of there computers and replaced one. That is the extent of what we have had our hands in. Well that and running 2 drops for a printer and stamp machine. I will learn Linux. I have wanted to for a while anyhow.

#12 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Nice to hear back from you with an update!

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

The OneDrive for Business option with Office 365 installs an app on the PC, similar to how OneDrive works with Hotmail/Outlook.com. In the case of One Drive for Business, this syncs to a SharePoint library -- but you can only sync one library with the app. And files have to first be uploaded either using the browser, or by placing them in the OneDrive for Business folder on the PC.

Long story short, OneDrive isn't really designed as an all-purpose backup, but is more like a shared network drive-- in fact, you can map a SharePoint library to a PC, just like a network drive. But you still have to move/copy files and folders over. Outside of scripts set to run as scheduled tasks, there's no way to automate it.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit.

#14 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'm a little confused as Free CloudBacko states they use cloud space like One Drive, Google Drive, DropBox Etc. but you state One Drive is not a good option. What cloud space do you recommend?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 September 2014 - 08:02 PM.
removed quote taken from a deleted spam post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users