Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Re-install Wins With Retail CD on EOM System?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rhham25

rhham25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:25 AM

I Have a Toshiba OEM Laptop and I want to wipe my drive using DBAN(DARIK'S BOOT AND NUKE) and start from scratch.

But this laptop came with NO CD and I was wondering a fews things, can I re-install Vista(or preferably Windows 7 if posible) on my OEM laptop and do I need a specific CD in particular?

Here's a bit of info about my computer.

OS SYSTEM:                  Vista Home Basic     

VERSION:                       6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

SMBIOS VERSION:         2.4

BIOS VERSION DATE    INSYDE 1.80. 3/20/2009

MANUFACTURER:         TOSHIBA

SYSTEM TYPE:             X86-based PC (32-bit)

MODEL:                        Satellite L355

PROCESSOR:              Genuine INTEL® CPU - 585 @2.16 GHz

MEMORY(RAM):            3.0 GB

HARDDRIVE                  140 GB

I didn't list my CD-KEY for confidential reasons, but can I  use a retail CD/DVD to re-install Vista or Windows 7 on an OEM system?

Hope you reply back soon THANKS!!! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

I didn't list my CD-KEY for confidential reasons, but can I  use a retail CD/DVD to re-install Vista or Windows 7 on an OEM system?

Yes, a full retail version CD which means a new product key is provided along with the disc. Just a note on wiping hard drive with DBAN, by following the clean install instruction using the new installer disc, you can skip the zero or low level format in your case unless otherwise it is needed for a specific reason.

Tekken

#3 rhham25

rhham25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

Yes, a full retail version CD which means a new product key is provided along with the disc. Just a note on wiping hard drive with DBAN, by following the clean install instruction using the new installer disc, you can skip the zero or low level format in your case unless otherwise it is needed for a specific reason.

Hey' thanks for replying! 

But one thing, I hear alot of people online who seem to think you have to have a specific CD/DVD to install. They mention stuff like an OEM key is different from a retail key but I don't understand the conflicting reports. And can you clarify why some people suggest those conclusions?

Another thing I hear  alot is that you have to get your CD-key activated by phone which I can't because vista is pretty old.

And do I have to take COA into consideration and can I upgrade Vista from Home to Pro?

Edited by rhham25, 01 May 2014 - 04:15 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

They mention stuff like an OEM key is different from a retail key but I don't understand the conflicting reports. And can you clarify why some people suggest those conclusions?

OEM product keys are usually laptops and on pre built desktops. The sticker OEM product keys found on the casing are normally used mostly when you are required to use the same Windows Edition installer discs or the OEM recovery discs (does not require a product key and driver reinstall) are not available or lost in some cases. Retail discs are full edition installers which comes with different product keys wherein the 25 characters are required on the near end of the installation which means it does not require phone activation. Phone Activation are usually those that are of trial version discs.

Your computer based on the Intel processor model can run Windows 7 home pro 64 bit. http://ark.intel.com/products/36681/Intel-Celeron-Processor-585-1M-Cache-2_16-GHz-667-mhz-fsb

Tekken

#5 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/how-to/230

worth trying this alternative

#6 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

get official copy here need your key to activate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users