Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows fails to boot desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JNard829

JNard829

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:29 AM

I am having an odd issue with my most recent build. The pc posts correctly then boots into my windows 7 splash screen. After Windows loads, instead of booting into my desktop my monitor goes idle and my pc turns off within 30 seconds. I have tried different gpus and restored the os multiple times. I have run various hardware diags and tests in which everything passes. If anyone has any ideas please share. This only occurs once maybe every 50 times I power on. When in the os I see no performance issues, no bottlenecking no viruses.

Build specs:
i7 4930k no overclock, corsair h100i, 32gb quad channel vengeance pro memory at 2400mhz. Asus X79 deluxe motherboard, Samsung evo 250gb ssd, WD 2tb Green, evga gtx 690, corsair ax 860i

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

The only thing I could think of is maybe a defective processor, but it may very well be something else considering it posts correctly and doesn't do it on every boot. I guess it could be the power supply, partially cutting off power to some parts. Maybe check the connections...

#3 JNard829

JNard829
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

All connections are secure. I've also tested different sata ports using different controllers. I figure the ssd could be defective, but it's a hard thing to test since it passes diags, rarely occurs, and I do not have another ssd to test with

#4 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hmm... I don't know then. I suppose it could be the SSD, but like you said it would be a pain to test.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

The logical start, IMO, would be with the PSU.  Then I'd move on to the RAM and hard drive and hope I don't have to go further.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users