Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preferences Could Not Be Read

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bad-People

Bad-People

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

Often when using Google Chrome it will crash and give me a message "Your preferences cannot be read. Some features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won't be saved." Afterward I have to re-install my extensions and fix many of my settings. I have to opt-out from a number of ad sites again as well. This happens roughly every three days. 

I reported the issue on the chrome forum but I expect no answer.

I've seen a number of people who have this problem and a couple of recommend solutions. 

This one seems to work for most of them.

=>Exit Google Chrome completely.
=>Go to the Start menu > Run.
=>Enter one of the following directories in the text field, then press OK.
=>Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\
=>Windows Vista/ Windows 7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\
=>Locate the folder called "Default" in the directory window that opens and rename it as "Backup default."
=>Try opening Google Chrome again. A new "Default" folder is automatically created as you start using the browser

It'd didn't even work for five full hours for me and I had to fix everything again anyway.

Another solution was given as this.

Right click User Data
Click properties
click Security tab
Click Advanced
and click Replace Permissions

I tried this once and it didn't work, I went to try it again and the Replace Permissions option wasn't even there.

It is also affecting my Firefox Browser. Every time this happens I have to re-set my Firefox homepage.

Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 m

Vista Home Basic

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 17 May 2014 - 03:38 AM.
Moved to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

I'm starting to think the problem is with Firefox. Last time it my internet crashed(5-6 days ago) I decided I wasn't going to reset my firefox homepage to default and it hasn't crashed yet. Can anyone tell me anything about this easylifeapp that seems to be insisting on being my firefox homepage?

#3 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Nevermind that last post. It took two weeks this time but it happened again. Anybody have ANY ideas?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:54 AM

I'm starting to think the problem is with Firefox. Last time it my internet crashed(5-6 days ago) I decided I wasn't going to reset my firefox homepage to default and it hasn't crashed yet. Can anyone tell me anything about this easylifeapp that seems to be insisting on being my firefox homepage?

From this post, it appears you might have the easylifeapp toolbar/adware on your system. To that effect, I have put in a "report" suggesting that this topic be moved to the "Am I Infected?" forum, where they might further help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users