Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA.DRV error?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skyyy526

skyyy526

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:25 AM

hi there...im not sure if this problem has to do with my hardware or not...im hoping someone will know the cause of this error im having.

i have been having a lot of troube trying to d/l windows ME on a computer that my freind gave to me from his office at work. it was missing a hard drive and cd rom drive so i installed a clean h/d and an extra cd rom drive i had. since the hard drive is clean i use a windows me startup disk to install windows. i made this disk from a computer that has windows ME already installed on it. i made sure that the hard drive was formatted and had a partition and everything. i also made sure that the windows cd rom is inserted. i then type in the commands to start the windows setup process. it performs the tests but right before it gets to the instructions to install, and error box comes up. it reads: Application error, W9XSETUP caused an illegal instruction in module vga.drv at 0001:1f81. i then exit this box and it is followed by another which reads, Application error, W9XSETUP caused a general protection fault in module user.exe at 0001:40b6. it then exits the setup and gos back to the bios screan where it gives me the black screan and white letters. it says a bunch of stuff about a bad fault in msdos extender or something and gives me a bunch of numbers. this happens every time, and it will not allow me to install.

i have tried to work my way around this. i tried making my cd rom my primary boot drive so i could try and install windows without the floopy and with the cd rom. i formatted my hard drive many times. i made sure everything was connected right. i even checked the cmos...it reads the h/d and cd rom and all the that. im not sure what other settings i shoud check in the cmos. the computer is a compaq presario and it is model 5002US. it has a built in graphics card...im not sure if that matters but if any imformation helps im willing to give it. i have the entire cmos written down if anyone needs additional information on this problem.

if anyone can give me any imformation it would be greatly apreciated.
thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:07 PM

Possibly a bad Setup disk. Is it the original WinME disk or a copy?

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:39 PM

:thumbsup: to BC skyyy526

I am curious as to how you cleaned up the hard drive. Did you use a Windows ME enviroment to format it? Or did you use a different version of Windows?

i have tried to work my way around this. i tried making my cd rom my primary boot drive so i could try and install windows without the floopy and with the cd rom.

That sounds like the step that I would take. When you did this, did you make your CD as primary and the HD as secondary? If you didn't then try that, and make sure that your CD is in the drive when you turn it on.

If Im not mistaken, this computer originally had Windows 98 2nd ed. on it, but it could be upgraded to ME. The basic file of vga.drv is just a very basic driver for the on-board video card to get the monitor to display. Have you tried to install Win 98 2nd, then upgrade to ME, instead of going with a full install of ME?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users