Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guidance on IT Security Carrer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kotel

Kotel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hello all as i mentioned in my introduction i am a student in Computer Engineering and i am searching which path to choose after graduading..
I want to go on on the Security field but i am a little confused what exactly i whould like...

What options do i have choosing a path in the IT Security field?

I whould mostly be interested in Securing critical infrastructure as it is very interesting,vital and a job with future in the IT in my opinion..
Make your suggestions if you want..I am searching for a master degree to attend when i graduate so it's time to make some decisions.
Also what Certifications whould be helpful for begining my career in security?

Thanks in advance for your guidance :)

ps. How can i edit the title i misspeled career..:P

Edited by Kotel, 30 April 2014 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

IT is a wide and vast field.  Even specifying security gives you a lot of options, network, web, wireless, forensics, etc.  Find out what you are interested in doing an do that.  DO NOT take a job for the money as you will be miserable.  Take a job because you enjoy what you do.

A master degree should trump most of the certifications that you can obtain.  However, I don't know how much of an issue you would have obtaining employment as many companies would see you as over qualified.  You'll be better served in determining what you want to do and then pursue a master degree if would benefit you.  Being over educated can hurt you in the job market.

The CompTIA certifications are good all around certifications.  The problem with the CompTIA certifications is now they expire every three years, so you may want to wait until you get closer to looking for a job.  Network+ and Security+ are probably two that would give you a start.  You can continue on with CASP (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner) if you would like.

#3 Kotel

Kotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

I am not going to pick a job based on the future salary of cource...
I am interested in computer security i am interested in system administration and network administration i am also insterested in penetration testing and malware tough i think i can't land in malware field cause i am not good at programming and malware analysis need reverse engineering and stuff...

I don't see how overqulification can be bad as long as you have an agreement in payment...
i mean if a company need a sysadmin and give 2k$ for this job and somebody with the same experience aplly for the job why over qualification whould be bad?

I am planing to do a master for sure but i haven't decided yet..
Any good universities in Europe for this field to do a master?

Now regarding certifications as most certifications expire i am thinking that getting them as i am in the business and have 2-3 years of experience..

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

I don't see how overqulification can be bad as long as you have an agreement in payment.
The problem is that you never get the interview for the job.  Imagine applying to work the grill at a fast food restaurant with a four year degree.  Anyone looking to fill the position asks themselves why is this person even applying?  The scene from American Beauty where Kevin Spacey applies for a job in a fast food place because working at a fast food place when he was younger was one of his happiest times.

Mr. Smiley's Manager: I don't think you'd fit in here.

Lester Burnham: I have fast food experience.

Mr. Smiley's Manager: Yeah, like twenty years ago!

Lester Burnham: Well, I'm sure there have been amazing technological advances in the industry, but surely you must have some sort of training program. It seems unfair to presume I won't be able to learn.

I know nothing about universities in Europe. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users