Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up WebServices for practice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kotel

Kotel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hello all i have some free time and money and i decided to learn some sysadmin skills..
I've been studing some system administration for RHEL/Fedora OS the last 2-3 weeks and i've decided to do some practice...
My thought was to rent a VPS and setup some services webserver/mail server etc first to get in touch with the apps used how to communicate with SSH general to get some experience with servers and configuration...Also i whould like to practice monitoring tools,configure firewall etc in my server and maybe later some penetration testing..
I haven't practiced anything like that before so i want your opinions...
First of all what OS should i choose?
I was thinking of CentOS as i am working with Fedora and also want to have future knowledge on RHEL..
Do you think centos whould be good for setting up some web apps?
2) I was thinking on renting a VPS from here (haven't done much research) http://www.cheapvpsllc.com/
Does anyone have any experience or something with similar prices to suggest?
3)As i want to setup some web services to only to gain experience i don't care about the content of the Website..So are there free website templates i could use for my webserver?

These are my first steps in system administration and webapps so i whould appreciate your help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThatBob

ThatBob

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

Have you considered using a local web server for practicing?

I've been using this for close to a decade: https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

I've started keeping this http://www.uniformserver.com/ on a thumb drive for quick setups. I've installed it on nearly 20 systems in the last month for a project and it has done great for being something simple.

#3 Kotel

Kotel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

I am trying right now to set up xampp on a centos vm...i will try it later on windows server too....
After i configure xampp can i make it pubic someway?

#4 ThatBob

ThatBob

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

I have never set it up on linux. When I've hosted on linux it has always been with a provider.

I use that on WIndows.

Open port 80 on your computer's firewall and set up your router (you should always have a router between you and the Internet for safety reasons)  to forward port 80 to your host machine's IP.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

I'm going to echo ThatBo and recommend using a local web server. I use xampp for Windows development, so I am happy to help out there. I use Ubuntu for my dev server, but there is not all that much difference between 'nix distros. There should be about a bazillion web pages to guide you on setting up whatever distro you want.

After i configure xampp can i make it pubic someway?

Make it public to who? The rest of the world, or local to your system? What I mean by local to your system is that you have a server running in a vm, and you are trying to access it from your desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users