Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No ASUS OS disk..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

I have a need to reinstall my OS on an ASUS G75V laptop.  I do not have the disk that came with the laptop.  ASUS wants me to send it back to them so they can reinstall the OS.  For reasons of my own I can not do that.  Is there any other way to reinstall Win 8 so that it will recognize and install all of the proper drivers, etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Your computer may have a recovery partition. Is it shown in Disk Managment? I do not know if it works for Windows 8 but Asus says to press F9 at boot to get to the factory reset option. Make sure your important data is backed up because it will be wiped during the reset.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

Is there not an option to create factory recovery media (3 to 5 DVD's) or recovery drive, same as the DVD's but uses a 16GB Flash drive instead. These should have been created the first day you had the computer.

Microsoft mandates that OEM provides a means of recovery.

No recovery partition either?

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

This link says you do have a recovery partition: http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G75VW&s=388&hashedid=gkyI9iViQxXxueTd&os=&no=1775 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Modern computers don't come with disks anymore, they have a recovery partition instead.  In Windows 8 you can either Reset or Refresh your computer, take your pick...

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Modern computers don't come with disks anymore, they have a recovery partition instead.  In Windows 8 you can either Reset or Refresh your computer, take your pick...

You're correct, but there is also a way provided to create recovery disks or USB Recovery drive (16GB Flash drive needed), or both. This is in case of HDD failure, one component that at some point, fails on most computers.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

You're correct, but there is also a way provided to create recovery disks or USB Recovery drive (16GB Flash drive needed), or both. This is in case of HDD failure, one component that at some point, fails on most computers.

A Recovery drive is not exactly the same as manufacturer's recovery media. The "Reset" feature of "Win 8" won't work if a valid Windows installation is not found. For example, if your "C" partition somehow corrupted and the recovery environment is failed to find and attach to the Windows installation, you won't be able to use neither "Reset" nor "Refresh".  It will complain with a message similar to  "Unable to reset yourPC, a required drive partition is missing".

The same applies to a new hard drive. Contradictory to common belief ,"Recovery Drive" won't help you transferring OS to a new disk. It only contains the means to fix an existing Windows installation. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 May 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#8 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the info.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was quite some distance from my puter.

Why was there a line through my typing?

#9 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

I think I will have to wait a bit before I try this.  Where I am now if my puter goes down, I am really SOL.

#10 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

Hmmm...does not seem to be a recovery partition.  I purchased this from a TigerDirect store and after purchase had them install a SSD drive as C: and of course they reinstalled the OS (win8).  The original HDD drive was removed.  Bet the recovery partition was on that drive!

Edited by ArcticPrince, 02 May 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,970 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

A Recovery drive is not exactly the same as manufacturer's recovery media. The "Reset" feature of "Win 8" won't work if a valid Windows installation is not found. For example, if your "C" partition somehow corrupted and the recovery environment is failed to find and attach to the Windows installation, you won't be able to use neither "Reset" nor "Refresh".  It will complain with a message similar to  "Unable to reset yourPC, a required drive partition is missing".

The same applies to a new hard drive. Contradictory to common belief ,"Recovery Drive" won't help you transferring OS to a new disk. It only contains the means to fix an existing Windows installation. 

Wow, thanks for that info. I was not aware of this. My daughter has a Win8 laptop and a Recovery Drive was created. I figured it was similar to the Recovery Partition on a Win7 OEM if the system was corrupted.  I am liking this OS less and less each day. Recovery Disks were created in the beginning but the computer has been tweaked with Classic Shell and a lot of other things. I guess the best thing to do is image the system with Clonezilla or Macrium Free and be done with it.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

I guess the best thing to do is image the system with Clonezilla or Macrium Free and be done with it.

"Macrium" is great and really a life saver. According to Microsoft's original documentation, a Recovery Drive is supposed to be able to reparation the hard drive and perform a bare metal recovery. However many manufacturer's use their own custom configurations which might not include the necessary configuration files ( automated Diskpart script etc ) to perform the bare metal recovery. When i tested the "Reset" feature on a clients laptop with new unpartitioned hard drive, that was the case.   

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hmmm...does not seem to be a recovery partition.  I purchased this from a TigerDirect store and after purchase had them install a SSD drive as C: and of course they reinstalled the OS (win8).  The original HDD drive was removed.  Bet the recovery partition was on that drive!

This......

.......is why when purchasing a new PC, purchase the SSD separately, elsewhere at a lower price, then clone your install to a SSD. I used the Macruim tool several times to do this, was able to convert installs from 1TB drives onto 120-128GB SSD's. Even Windows 8 installs with the GPT partitioning scheme.

Of course, create the recovery DVD set and/or Recovery Drive first, backup the entire HDD after clone & then one has both an SSD & Data (or Backup) drive. The retailers keeps the original HDD's, RAM, whatever was upgraded & resells then to the next sucker that comes along at a 100% profit, or uses them for warranty repairs. Can't blame them, customers are donating their original configuration components to the OEM/reseller. If a PC is shipped with an 8GB RAM configuration & the customer orders 16GB, that's not 16GB extra (unless specifically stated in writing or the order form as 24GB total).

The customer has to be proactive here, Tiger Direct sells or adds on these SSD's at regular retail pricing. It's up to the customer to demand the original components returned before the transaction is complete. It may require a phone call order, but this is a buyer's market. 3rd party resellers will gladly give the customer what's rightfully theirs when asked to do so, especially if the customer hints at carry their business elsewhere. Make sure to get the name of the rep spoken with & a confirmation number.

Cat

#14 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info, but it is a bit late for that now.  Will keep it in mind for the future though.  Back to my original problem, is it possible to install a generic retail version of Win 8.1 on an ASUS laptop and have it work with all of the ASUS components?  Or am I just SOL?  I am in Afghanistan at the moment and really cant take it or send it back.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

You may can, if the system shipped with 8.1, the installer should read your key from the BIOS chip. Though I can't guarantee it, it's worth a shot.

If it shipped with Windows 8 instead, you'll have to use that media, then do the 8.1 upgrade. I performed this on a Samsung notebook where the owner didn't create reinstall media, nor was there a backup. The machine had just went out of warranty & the HDD failed. Can't recall the model series, but it started with a "Q" in the name.

That notebook was worst Samsung product I've seen produced & wasn't worthy of carrying the brand name. It required 2 different warranty repairs before the drive failure.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users