Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for new computer for video editing and music production

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 suker009

suker009

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Hi this is my first post! So go easy on me.

As the title says I will mostly be using this computer for video editing, probably using the program Sony Vegas. And music production, not sure what program yet but most likely Fruity Loops. And NO gaming 

I don't have a a preference for either a desktop or a laptop. The size of the Harddrive is NOT important me. Also I don't care if I have to buy it in person or online.

I don't really have a budget constraint but I'd like to spend around ~500$, which I understand is really low. I don't have a spare monitor so that also included in the budget, but I could probably pick one up on craigslist for less than a 100$ ?

Technically speaking I know very little, i.e. ram, memory, multi-core processors. I understand the bigger the better, I just don't know what to look for when considering my endeavors. (A problem I've had in the past is videos taking way too long to render.) 

I'm leaning towards getting a desktop because I've had very poor luck with laptops; overheating, too loud, crashing. 

Feel free to ask any questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer!

Laptops are definitely less durable than desktops, mainly because of the portability. Laptops are also considerably less powerful than desktops. I also find that you get more for what you pay for with desktops.
If you do decide to buy a laptop, you will probably have a hard time finding a decent one for $500. You may have to spend around $700. I have also had bad luck with laptops (Had an Acer Aspire, literally fell apart within a year). My advice is to go for a desktop. The only time anyone should ever get a laptop is if they need the portability.
Keep in mind that for an audio/video PC, hard drive size does matter, you probably don't want to go any smaller than 500 GB (gigabyte). If you want to do multi-tasking, you probably want a fairly fast processor. If I am difficult to understand, I apologize. Here is a model that may work for you:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/424150/Pro_3500_Desktop_Computer

In the end, you may want to go to somewhere like Best Buy. They will be able to guide you in the right direction.

#3 suker009

suker009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the thorough answer.

Portability isn't a necessity at all. I'd prefer to have a work station so I am not worried about mobility. The only reason I suggested a laptop is so I can could really broaden my search.

The reason why I don't want a hard drive is because I have already have a couple portable ones, totaling 2 terabytes in space. Should have said that in original post.

Lastly I'm a little hesitant going to a store like Best Buy because I think they have higher prices compared to retailers online. Also theres more variety online.

#4 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

No problem :)

The reason why I don't want a hard drive is because I have already have a couple portable ones, totaling 2 terabytes in space. Should have said that in original post.

Yes, since you have external hard drives the size of the hard drive on the PC itself does not matter as much.

Lastly I'm a little hesitant going to a store like Best Buy because I think they have higher prices compared to retailers online. Also theres more variety online.

You are correct, stores like Best Buy will most likely charge more, and online retailers will have better selection. It's all a matter of knowing what you need, I am sure there are some good guides online about what each of the computer components do, if you are curious. I learned about computer parts from Youtube videos.

Good luck, and feel free to post back here with any questions :)

#5 suker009

suker009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

In all honesty that's why I came to this forum, but that's okay I decided to do my own research anyway haha. Turns out this computer 'stuff' isn't as overwhelming as I first thought. That being said, PLEASE correct me on everything and anything lol

So three things I found are important to computer speed, are RAM, processor type, and amount of cores;
-I quickly found out that RAM is easily upgrade-able and somewhat cheap too ~60$. So that wasn't a priority as I could I change it down the line if I'm not satisfied 
-Next I found that it's better to have more cores than a better processor. This was the sentiment of a couple youtubers, so I'm not sure if this more opinion based or fact. Also something about hyper-threading..hah

So far this badboy is the frontrunner. Quadcore, Intel i5 proccesor and in my price range sort of.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMY3RNQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

But one of the reviews says "Has no internal bays. Trying to get an RMA but was told 2-5 business days to process. That seems a bit out of line but we will see.". Does this mean that I can't upgrade the RAM? I've tried searching for an answer but can't figure out.

Also I've only been looking at Amazon. Is there any other good online retailers? By the way I live in the states if that wasn't already evident.

#6 FurryRose

FurryRose

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

-I quickly found out that RAM is easily upgrade-able and somewhat cheap too ~60$. So that wasn't a priority as I could I change it down the line if I'm not satisfied

RAM is, in my opinion, the easiest thing to instal/replace. I wouldn't call it cheap, but it does not cost a fortune, either.

-Next I found that it's better to have more cores than a better processor. This was the sentiment of a couple youtubers, so I'm not sure if this more opinion based or fact. Also something about hyper-threading..hah

Yes indeed. That is a common mistake among computer beginners. A friend of mine used the analogy "It's like chefs in a kitchen. One very fast chef won't be as effective as three or four slower chefs."
I don't think hyper-threading is something to worry about unless you're a computer enthusiast, but look into it more if you'd like.

The link to the computer you listed looks great. The review was probably talking about hard drive bays, which means you can't install more internal hard drives. Of course, you can still attach external ones by USB. RMA actually stands for Return Merchandise Authorization, it has nothing to do with the RAM. Do keep in mind, though, that each motherboard has a "maximum RAM" limit.

#7 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

Just want to say "Welcome to Bleeping Computer"  ,sukor!    You are in good hands here,gather your information & have fun computer shopping

Best regards,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

If you're willing to go with a refurbished machine you can probably get a better machine for the money.  Both New Egg and Best Buy have refurbished computers available online.  Woot (an Amazon company) frequently has computers available, two today (May 2nd).

#9 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Just last month I got  a great buy on a refurbished computer at WalMart on lline....I am more than satisfied with it,actually I am thrilled ...plus I have a 12 month warranty & it looks and performs like a brand newie!!!!!! So check it out,they have quite a variety to choose from and you have the option of having it sent to your local store............I am glad I did it that way because they opened up the box to make sure everything that was supposed to be there ,was there & it all looked up to par & of course you also have the 30 day return policy......

Best Regards,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#10 suker009

suker009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the help everybody, especially furryrose. I waited too long and the computer sold out so now I am waiting for another deal to come along. Does anyone know of any other good online retailers other than amazon and newegg? Also I rather buy a new PC than refurbished, my parents engraved the thought that "if you ever buy something 'somewhat' expensive, but it new!" haha

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

When it comes to purchasing refurbished computers you need to look at it in a different way.  These are machines that have been tested, which is more than you can say about the new machines.  Granted purchasing refurbished isn't for everyone, but you can get a great deal if you are open to this option.  Provided you get at least a 90 day warranty you should have sufficient warranty if anything should go wrong, anything longer is a bonus.

#12 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Hey sukor,,,,

Yeah,WalMart also has new computers on line as well as Best Buy,Brands Mart ,Circuit City & Comp USA

Best Regards,Kwik

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

Hi, have a look around TigerDirect's site as they have a good range of refurbished PCs at reasonable prices and they are generally cheaper then Newegg.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#14 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

If you build it yourself you get exactly what you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users