Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Detects Nothing?!?!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nickkucera

nickkucera

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

hello,

For some time now my Spyboy Search and Destroy has not detected any spyware. I have even gone to sites that i know puts spyware onto my computer, however when i do, no spyware appears when i run my scan. I am thinking there is a program blinding my spybot from anything and everything.

- I even update my spybot and do the immunization and that works as well.

- I can post a hi-jack this log if necessary,

- can someone please help me to figure out why my spybot does not pull up any spyware on my computer?

Thanks,

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

Wait a minute... did you just say you purposely infected your computer just for the sole purpose of seeing whether or not Spybot S&D would detect anything?!? Not smart at all! If your computer is infected and something is blinding Spybot that method of testing wasn't a good idea. Here's a basic overview of your malware cure strategy (I'll give you the comprehensive on when I have time or maybe a more experienced member will drop by and add on).

1. Ewido Anti-Malware - Download from: www.ewido.net
a. Install it
b. Update it
c. Close it without scanning
2. Use Ad-Aware SE - Download from: http://www.lavasoft.de/english/default.shtml
a. Install it
b. Update it
c. Close it without scanning
3. Reboot into safe mode. If you don't know how use bootsafe.exe from:
http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html
4. Scan with Ewido in safe mode and remove all malware detected
5. Scan with Ad-Aware SE and remove all malware detected.
6. Now scan with Spybot S&D, if nothing is found that should indicate either A) Ewido and Ad-Aware SE got most of the malware or :thumbsup: You're still infected. But, more than likely you'll be clean.
7. Reboot back into normal mode by selecting the Normal Reboot option in the bootsafe.exe tool.
8. Use HiJackThis and post a HJT log in the HJT forum NOT HERE!
http://www.subratam.org/main/ - download link for HJT
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-hijackthis/ - HJT Tutorial
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

... Several things came out wrong in that message and I wouldn't mind if an admin came by to edit it.
To begin with, I'd like to apologize to nickkucera if I offended you by making the sort of harsh comment about going out and infecting your computer a "not smart idea at all".
Furthermore, on the sixth step there should be a sub bullet with the letter B and not a smiley face because by no means whatsoever is continual malware infection funny.

Ok, now back to the malware removal instructions. So far, it seems like my basic layout should get rid of your major problems. If there are any other details that you can add or if you've completed the anti-malware cleaning process, please post back here. Once again, I apologize for the possible harshness/rudeness of my post.

Edited by jgweed, 22 May 2006 - 06:51 PM.

Stanford '14

#4 nickkucera

nickkucera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:51 PM

ok ok,

nah i dont care about the "offensive comments," im not offended at all. There isnt much people can say that offends me. Who cares about words anyways.

ok, on to the problem...

I did everything that you said to do in safemode and such...

still, spybot detects nothing, ever.

i made a hijack this log and posted it... this is the link...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/53397/spybot-finds-nothing-ever/

PS. ive even uninstalled, and then DLed and reinstalled spybot before

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:25 AM

Ok, just be patient with your HJT log. Our HJT team of volunteers is always busy at BC, but someone should answer your log within 5 days.

Edited by jgweed, 23 May 2006 - 07:32 AM.

Stanford '14

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:24 AM

Each anti-spyware vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Just because spbot is not picking up anything does not necessarily mean its not working.

Are you using v1.4 and do you have if configured as shown here?

Edited by quietman7, 23 May 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 nickkucera

nickkucera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

i dont have TeaTimer on, and i never did before when i didnt have problems. Should I put TeaTimer on... ? does it make the computer go slower at all? ive heard that it does...

any more ideas on why spybot doesnt work?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:20 AM

You have already posted your log and should not make any changes to your system until a HJT Team Expert has a chance to review it. If you make changes before this, it can cause confusion or complicate fixing your problem. Please be patient, the team is busy helping others who posted ahead of you but your log will be addressed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:24 AM

Howdy,

I check for Spybot-S&D updates and run a Spybot scan on a daily basis. I also have several other layers of protection.

Prior to downloading SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster several months ago, Spybot S&D would locate and zap several items per scan, but it has not come up with a single item since the aforementioned downloads.

My uneducated guess is that S-Guard and S-Blaster are doing all the work OR Spybot-S&D has fallen asleep on me.?????

You are not alone nickkucera !

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 29 May 2006 - 04:25 AM.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:39 AM

Or it is not getting to Spybot, hence the layered secruity :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Or it is not getting to Spybot, hence the layered security :thumbsup:

You Know what ? I think you are absolutely right. Again. :flowers:

I just tried to download
Microsoft's' Window Defender program and Spybot jumped all over it like a guard dog until I called it off and allowed the change.

So it seems my buddy Spybot is not asleep at wheel after all !

Thanks for your reply,
Dennis :trumpet:

Edited by Dennis H, 29 May 2006 - 11:09 AM.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:13 AM

I run Spybot S&D, Defender, and SpywareGuard. Talk about busy when they all three find somehing they don't like.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 nickkucera

nickkucera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

awesome kinda... as selfish as this sounds im glad to hear its not me... I only say that because it seems like there is no problem at all.

and as weird as this sounds, I kinda enjoyed when spybot would find a bunch of crap and I could delete it off my comp. it made me feel accomplished.

if there is a problem still and anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. thanks for the help so far. im still waiting to see if anyone says anything about my hijack this post.

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

and as weird as this sounds, I kinda enjoyed when spybot would find a bunch of crap and I could delete it off my comp. it made me feel accomplished.

Now you can feel a sense of accomplishment in the fact, that you have a fairly secure computer.
Now you can spend time surfing, instead of constantly fighting malware. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

Or if you really like fighting malware you can apply for the HJT training program and help fight the good fight... :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users