Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I recover files from my external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 INDY450

INDY450

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hello to all!

Thanks for this site since I think this is one professional site that helps people with common or even new computer problems.

I need help:  my external disk/drive was a victim of some kind of virus about 2 or 3 years ago, and I think I successfully removed it with a virus remover  last year.  The thing is all my files are "saved" but I cannot access them.  I do seldom go online, but when I found out on this site an "unhide.exe" tool, I downloaded it and used it.  

Problem is I think it can only scan and fix the main drive, which is drive C:

So how can I restore/recover my files..?  If "unhide.exe" is not the right tool, what can I fix it with?

It still shows "12.6 GB free of 74.5 GB" (with corresponding blue shade to show the space taken up), but when I click on it, the system says "This folder is empty".

I really appreciate any help here since my hard disk has important docs, pics, and videos...

Edited by INDY450, 30 April 2014 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

If the files are hidden, open a command prompt and type:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.* 

Substitute your external drive letter for X.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 April 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#3 INDY450

INDY450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Hi JohnC_21

Thanks for the response.  I tried to use the "attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.* Substitute your external drive letter for X." and I did exchanged the "X" to "F" which is the designated drive for my external drive.  However, the system response is "File not found -F:\*.*"  So am not so sure why.  Could it be I'm using Windows 7 OS?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

It seems the attribute command will not work. Did you cut and paste the command I posted? You may have not put a space in the command line. In Windows 7 right click CMD and run as administrator.

If that does not work download Puppy Linux 5.2.8. Burn the iso and boot the CD. Then attach the external drive. A icon will appear in the lower left of the desktop showning your USB drive. Click it once. A file manager window will open and you should see your files. If you see the files, click the hard drive in the lower left. This would be the one in your computer. A file manager will open and you will be able to transfer the files from the external to the internal drive. See this guide for a good step by step. Do not do the disk check as shown on page 2.

You can use any burning software that can burn an iso. I like Imgburn.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 May 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,701 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

On Windows 7, it has a built in burner

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

On Windows 7, it has a built in burner

Thanks, that is right. Completely forgot about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users