Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg & Sophos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

Hello everyone! It is 10:30 PM where I live so please bare with improper grammar, typos, and any other errors you might find because I am VERY tired. Basically, my dad is a computer science professor at FIU and he's pretty high up there so we get Sophos Anti-Virus on as many machines as we like (I'm not sure if this is avaliable only to high up people or everyone but that doesn't matter). My computer that I'm using right now has AVG Free and Sophos Anti-Virus running on it with their real time monitoring and everything. My computer has been like this for the past year or so and nothing bad has happened in correlation with having two AVs running. Should I continue like this or not.

Note: Sophos appears to have a real-time monitoring system set up on my computer (The InterCheck Monitor and Sophos Remote Updater), but AVG's real-time monitoring seems so much more active and powerful.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:11 PM

Sophos, is marketed as a Small Business/Enterprise/Educational/Government/Service Provider, platform. They are not in the individual home user market. This does not mean home users cannot use the application via one of the above means.

And I would not recommend 2 AV's running at the same time.

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:18 PM

Can you have more than one resident Anti-virus program?
Can you? YES
Should you? NO
Is it a good idea, do you get better protection? NO

The danger, is that one antivirus program may (Read this as eventually will) see
the others definition files as viruses, and will remove them. This is not so much a
problem with manual scans, where you only run one Antivirus program at a time, if
you pay close attention to what it detects, and where. If you manually configure it to
ignore the other program, and its files, then you minimize the risk from this problem.

The big problem, is the silent threat. Most antivirus programs will scan web based
(not necessarily all, like P2P, and IM) file transfers. It is quite common, for one
antivirus program, to detect the incomming virus updates for the other. Thinking parts
of the definition files are viruses in their own right, the AV will strip these out of the
update.
The end result? Instead of having two, or even one, up to date fully functional
antivirus programs, you have two severely crippled programs, which are each
missing critical definition, and detection files .

So, it is best to have one antivirus program, and keep it up to date and use it
properly.
Then, if you experience a problem, or question its efficiency, you run an online scan.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

Which real-time monitoring do you advise I use then?
Stanford '14

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:10 AM

You yourself, Elendil, seem to think AVG's real time protection is stronger; I happen to use AVG, so I agree with that assessment. I really think, though, that which Anti-virus you use really depends on your evaluation of its virus definitions- - -these should be both broad in scope and frequently updated to reflect all current known exploits.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:23 AM

Interestingly enough, like I've said, I've been using these two together for the past year and no problems have occured. When I get back from school I'll make my final decision, but for now AVG is temporarily turned off.
Stanford '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users