Here's the situation folks. I've had an email account with Microsoft for almost 10 years. Never had any problems until 2012, when my bank details were stolen. I started to get 50-60 spam emails per day. (I had online banking, which was linked to that email account) That slowed down over time though, but it could have something to do with my current issue, which is why I am mentioning it.
Anyway, besides spam, my account seemed fine until the end of January this year. Like many people with Smartphones, I have an email app on my phone. I think it's Gmail (It came loaded onto the phone) Around the end of January, I got a little pop-up, saying
"Sign In failed
Server password has been changed. Input the changed password"
*Insert email address here*
*Insert area for typing password here*
In other words, someone had changed my password. A week or two later, using a form provided by Microsoft, I was able to get it back. However, no more then three weeks later, it happened again. I was first made aware of the problem by my phone giving me the same pop up. Using the same method as before, I gained control of my account again and deleted almost everything from it (And changed my password again) Today, it has happened yet again. It's making me wonder what the hell is up. Could my phone or laptop have some sort of malware on them? If so, could it only effect one thing such as this email, even though I use others? Could it be an issue with Microsoft servers? At the moment, that form of there's isn't even working. It says they're doing maintenance. That doesn't matter anyway as even if I get my account back, I can't help but think that this time next month, it'll happen again.
When I have changed passwords, I have used completely new words, numbers and capital letters. Nothing linked to anything else.
I can't update my "Security Question" as I would need to remember the answer to the question I put in 9 years ago. Same goes for the mobile number I initially used. Can't link any current phone to the account because of that.
There is supposed to be a way of linking a new phone number to that account so that a code can be sent to that phone in the event of such a thing as this. But after waiting 30 days for this to work, it just doesn't seem to do so. I wait 30 days as requested and then get no prompt to link my account with my phone.
I know my accounts days are numbered. But after having it for such a long time, it will be a shame for me to lose it. It's probably my oldest account online.