Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BROWSER TAKEOVER

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wickerman

wickerman

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

i have a BIG problem .i was trying to make Google my home page ,i typed that in and clicked on one of the sites. this came up.

WWW.ADDPEOPLE.CO.UK its a web designing site (i think),and it has taken over my computer. no matter what i press  Firefox//Google Chrome.

sky emails, all the icons on my desktop .this comes up .i cant' get away from it.i have contacted the company to see how to uninstall it .

but i am not holding my breath. can anyone suggest anything.i have tried,   start-run-then typed in the address.right clicked on the info that came up ,found open containing folder.thought i could delete it from there but it just opens the same site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

I couldn't find any mention of that website installing software unintentionally or even hijacking browser searches. Nothing.

Just a website with a lot of commenters complaining about being bamboozled by this company.

Run the scans below and let's see what they find.

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
    Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
  • Download Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Edited by buddy215, 30 April 2014 - 09:51 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

Morning Buddy 215. i think you where right it was temporary.i turned it on  yesterday and all icons  (  firefox  emails  google ) had all gone back to how they where.

except google chrome. this still had this add people thing on.i had downloaded that the day before ,so i uninstalled it , and now everthing is ok.but i have left chrome off.so now i only have firefox on as a browser.

i like to have at least two so do you think i should try chrome again,or try another.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

Don't you have IE installed? If so, be sure to get the latest updates for IE before using it. There was an exploit in IE that

was patched yesterday.

If there was some adware in Chrome before and you didn't do a clean uninstall/ remove your Chrome profile then reinstalling

Chrome may still show the adware. You can use Revo Uninstaller to remove all remnants of Chrome. If you then install

Chrome again, download it from Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once. It will be adware free as all the other downloads

listed there at Ninite.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

I think you should use those scanners I listed in my first post. Clean up your temporary files, etc using CCleaner.

Just use the default settings. No need to use the Registry Cleaner as it could cause another problem. Be sure to pay attention

while installing and UNcheck any offers of toolbars. CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Use the info in link below to block the install of ad/ tracking/ third party cookies. Once you have blocked the cookies from installing

you can use CCleaner to remove the ones presently installed. Disable third-party cookies in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome | How To - CNET

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Hello Buddy 215.thanks for you reply  i have been having trouble with I.E for sometime .so at the moment i don't use it .not sure if i want it back on .every few min's a message came up I.E not responding,never did solve that one. i already have Revo on . and c.cleaner i have just run that .i have also installed Ninite.  will run those  scanners you suggested and let you know next post.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

You could try using this tool. It may repair your IE. I would do the other scans first, though.

Windows Repair (All In One) Download

Windows Repair can perform the following tasks:

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files
  • Repair Windows Updates
  • Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users